Chattering Mind

Chattering Mind

The Metaphysics of Diabetes

posted by Chattering Mind

by Dr. Susan Corso

For almost 20 years, I have manifested Type II Diabetes. The medical pundits say that, these days, it’s become a veritable epidemic, especially in our young people. What’s going on?

Oh yeah, I know. Computers, less-than-healthy eating habits, lack of exercise. Those are the physical reasons for diabetes. What I’m asking instead is: what are the metaphysical reasons? (N.B. This is not, I repeat, not an opportunity for what I call Metaphysical Malpractice. That’s code for: blame the sufferer—and some of modern medicine has this tactic down to a… um, science.)

I think the so-called diabetes epidemic is a message. Track with me the etymologies of the words involved in the “dis-ease.” First, diabetes itself. Diabetes comes from the Greek, meaning passing through. It is an inability to use the food one eats, namely sugar, which passes through the body instead of nourishing one. The pancreas is the principle gland involved in the dis-ease. Pancreas means all flesh. Without the pancreas and its function, one starves, quite literally. Insulin is the principle hormone involved in the dis-ease. Insulin comes from the root word island; it is about isolation.

I think that, metaphysically, diabetes is about a soul pattern of emotional isolation—starving for love, and unable to get enough of its sweetness. When I figured it out for myself, I began to heal the symptoms of the dis-ease. Western medicine along with several modalities of energy healing including The Healing Codes, allowed my doctor and me to take me off insulin this week.

Why the epidemic? And especially in young people? Here’s my take: these youth are carrying a soul memory for the rest of us. That soul memory is: Life is sweet, life is nourishing, life is to be savored. If we’ll slow down, spend some time within ourselves, listen deeply, and take action as guided, we who manifest diabetes can give the world a gift. We’ll remember that life is sweet, and because our very nature is to give, we’ll give that reminder of sweetness to everyone.

Krista White

posted May 26, 2007 at 2:49 am

I read something a while back by the Dalai Lama, and one of the things he said was hardest for him to comprehend about our culture was the concept of self-hatred. In his native culture it is virtually unheard of. I think that is the real epidemic in this country. We fail to recognize the sweetness within ourselves. We look to material possessions and what we think other people think of us as our gauge of self-worth. We have forgotten what it truly means to love ourselves. So the rise in diabetes is no surprise to me. I have seen this in my family where diabetes and self-hatred run rampant. I have recognized it in myself as I too start to show the early signs of Type II diabetes. I’m glad I caught on early. My love goes out to you and your own road to healing. Peace, Krista

ps

posted May 28, 2007 at 10:15 pm

I have read much, seen much, went to class after class for the learning and knowledge of diabetes. I have to tell you, I have never heard of this nor has anyone ever spoke of it in all the aspects or tools for learning that I’ve attended. I was diagnosed with type 2 around 25 years ago. It was borderline and controled by diet at the time. It progressively worsened as time went by and approximately 20 years into it and taking oral medications, I started on insulin. Since that time my issues have lessened and I have all under control. My diabetes is inherited. My father and his brother both had it. Now I’m saying not this just to say it; I was told so by doctors, nurses, nutritionists, whoever had anything to do with the care and healing of diabetes. I do not have self hate for myself. Neither did my Dad or his brother. They were both outgoing loving men with huge hearts and gave all to their families. My father did not have self hatred. He had a charming, funny, loving personality. He was a Scorpio. People loved him. He was musically talented and forever giving of himself and his goods. He wasn’t materialistic for whatever he had he gave away to others. I don’t have the same personality as he did, but I can tell you this. People loved me and still do for my caring, honesty, intelligence and helping others. I’m dependable and reliable. I cannot sit back and let someone say that diabetes in due to self loathing or hate. Thats crap! Poor little children who have no knowledge of hate are diagnosed with it today. It’s more of a genetic thing than anything else. And I find it horrible for anyone to even hint at such rubbish and ideas of psycological issues in children or others than suffer with this disease. It’s not nice……..

daria

posted May 29, 2007 at 5:41 pm

In a culture where speed, consumption and unfettered growth are prized, I found your arguement interesting. I think I understand the metaphysical foundation you’ve built, but isn’t there also a scientific, heriditary basis for diabetes? Or do you consider that part of the soul pattern you’ve described? If so, I can appreciate the hurt which ps expresses in her post. Thank you for your alternative view, likewise Krista for the Dalai Lama’s insight into our culture of self loating. I’m not sure I agree with your conclusions, but both are ideas I’ll sit with.

daria

posted May 29, 2007 at 6:23 pm

I just read through the info on the linked site, The Healing Codes and it sounds unremarkably like the cognitive restructuring formulated by Dr. Aaron Beck and popularised by his student, David Burns, in his longtime bestseller, Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy. Or not? (The Helaing Codes price tag – $997 – and lack of specifics left me more supicious than intrigued) You mentioned healing through western medicine and energy modalities. Did you also make dietary changes?

Lisa

posted May 29, 2007 at 7:00 pm

I had the same reaction as the previous poster to The Healing Codes website. A $1000 price tag for a manual and set of CDs? Also, I think the increase in diabetes has much more to do with the prevalence of high fructose corn syrup and the fact that the typical American diet (especially among kids and teens) has moved away from whole foods and toward more “white stuff” –soda, sweets and simple carbs. Our pancreas was not meant to deal with such big hits of sugar/simple starch on a regular basis.

Shekah

posted May 30, 2007 at 8:01 pm

I have to agree with the long poster that we shouldn’t assume it is self hate that causes diabetes. My husband was just diagnosed with it and we knew it was just a matter of time. His father had it. All of his aunts and uncles on his father’s side have it. His grandfather had it. My husband is generally an even keel sort of guy. For him, genetics was his adversary, not “self hate”.Also, there are certain ethnic groups who are prone to it, among them Native Americans, Africans and Hispanics. I don’t know why that is so. There is a thread of Native American in my father in law’s lineage. If you want to stop the epidemic of diabetes, stop kids from having so much sugar and corn syrup. It is good for them in moderation only. Exercise, eat the right foods, stop any addictive behavior you might have. Diabetes is a disease that forces moderation. That should tell us a lot.

Shekah

posted May 30, 2007 at 8:32 pm

A couple of other things I have learned from watching my husband cope with it as well as from the diabetes class I’m taking with him. One is that some think that people don’t drink enough water and that might contribute to the development of diabetes. Water helps to clean the system. Another is that we have a habit of “leaving a happy plate” instead of eating only a reasonable portion and saving the rest for leftovers. We Americans are not known for our moderation. Some are genetically inclined to diabetes. Those who are not, should still watch what they eat.

Susan Eapen

posted April 24, 2011 at 3:53 am

I read a popular book by an American woman who attributed diabetes to the person’s desire for control. Edgar Cayce attributed it to damage to certain vertrebrae.

Diabetes tendency may be inherited but a tendency is transformed into a full blown disease due to many factors-most of which is related to a person’s state of mind.

It is true that diabetes is reaching epidemic proportions in India also where we have never used high fructose corn syrup. We have been using sugar for ages but never have had diabates to this level. So what has changed?

Life styles- we have become more sedentary and children no longer play as they used to in the evenings. There is hardly enough space.

Food-with both parents working, we depend more on the baked confectionaries with a lot of fat and sugar and ready made packed foods

Stress- The whole day is one big stress- sending children to school in time, packiing lunch, looking after parents, rushing to office, the delayed bus, the congestion on the roads, boss angry, conferences coming up- life is one big rush and ‘full of care with no time to stand and stare’ we have lost touch with nature.

Pollution-Water, air and food is contaminated. We are surrounded by the radio waves from mobile phone towers.

Self ‘unawareness’. We are so rushed trying to live up to all that is expected of us, that we have become totally out of touch with ourselves. When was the last time that you sat down alone in an empty house and wrote up in your journal or asked yourself what you would like changed in your way of life and went about changing it?

When I do not listen to the inner me, the real me gets terribly frustrated and it manifests as diseases or rage. If I really loved my ‘self’ I would find time to nurture my body, soul and spirit so that I am whole and wholesome.

being loved unconditionally, knowing that you are cherished and the one who loves you would keep on loving you no matter what-because you are precious and lovable-it can cure all illnesses. The greatest hunger is the hunger for love.

Love your enemy as yourself- you cannot love anyone truly and selflessly (agape) unless you are able to love yourself.

This is what I believe. I too have type 2 diabetes and I know that it would be better controlled if those around me stopped being critical of my every decision and I hate myself for being so weak and dependent on their affirmation, even when I know that I am right.

Isn’t this enough?

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Chattering Mind. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Happy Reading!!!

posted 9:09:39am Jul. 10, 2012 | read full post »

CM's Final Posts: You Can Fill the Space
Eighteen years ago, I wrote an article for a magazine that got me called in for a taped interview with a Fox TV morning news anchor. Being an effective communicator and a skillful public speaker was a dream of mine at the time. And still is. After some 30 minutes of prep with the station's hair-and-

posted 3:14:59pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Websites to Visit, Blogs to Read
Here are some blogs and websites I like. It's not a complete list. But it's a start. The first is called New Moon Journal and it is written by Michele Bailey-Lessirard, a life coach, collage artist, and "shamanic astrologer." On the opening page of her site, you'll find a little slide show of her am

posted 1:24:03pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Still Posted at My Desk
"Take off from here. And don't be so earnest, let others wear the sackcloth and the ashes. Let go, let fly, forget. You've listened long enough. Now strike your note." From "Station Island," by Seamus Heaney

posted 1:13:33pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

And Finally, This:
Place your burden at the feet of the Lord of the Universe who accomplishes everything. Remain all the time steadfast in the heart, in the Transcendental Absolute. God knows the past, present and future. He will determine the future for you and accomplish the work. What is to be done will be done at

posted 11:30:38am Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »