Chattering Mind

Chattering Mind

‘Homeopathy Mom’ to the Rescue

posted by Chattering Mind

The eldest Chattering boy slammed the car door on a left-hand finger right outside school this morning. He was in terrible pain. The cure here is usually a huge hug from Mom, ice, and the homeopathic remedy Hypericum (a highly-diluted essence of St. John’s Wort). I feel like I’ve stored Hypericum in our car’s glove department for twelve years in anticipation of just this event, but alas, when I pawed through the car’s interior and my purse (a mess again), my reassuringly blue Boiron tube wasn’t there. Drat. No Arnica either (a bruise-inhibiting remedy derived from a yellow daisy that grows through much of Europe).

In the meantime, Chattering boy’s middle school friends had gathered, and once they realized he wasn’t headed for the hospital, their light-hearted jokes eased the pain. (“Do you see the light? Don’t go towards the light! That’s only New Jersey!” said his friend Camilla.)

“Mom, it still hurts,” he whispered to me, dissolving into tears again. There’s no parking at meters until nine a.m. on these mean Brooklyn streets–and no homeopathy for sale until nine too–so I drove six blocks to a regular drug store, threw the blinkers on, and told my son, “Look, if the police try to give us a ticket, just tell them you are hurt and that I had to run in here.” I returned minutes later armed with Neosporin with Pain Relief, and a special finger bandage, relieved to see that by that time, he was contently reading a vintage Mad magazine.

I couldn’t cease my interior chatter about how homeopathy would really fit the bill here, so after dropping him back at school, I drove to the health food store Back to the Land, (which everybody calls “Back to the Bank” since it’s so expensive). Got the Hypericum and the Arnica. Called my son out of class to give him the first dose; left him with instructions to take the next thirty minutes before lunch.

Later, when digging through my purse for more parking-meter quarters, I found an old vial of Bach Flower’s Rescue Remedy rattling around under my wallet. Ha! If I’d found that when I needed it, it could have helped!

So I just gave myself a dose.

Click here and here and here to find wonderful books on household homeopathy and floral essences; they make fantastic gifts for yourself, or a friend, especially a new parent.

If you truly want to curl up with this subject, the most magnificent books on homeopathic medicine ever written are by Catherine R. Coulter. In three volumes, she delves passionately into matching the right homeopathic remedies to specific constitution types (since people developing chronic conditions generally resonate to one “overseeing” remedy more than any other). Coulter’s descriptions of people’s presenting symptoms and mannerisms, her literary allusions, and her stunning understanding of health and human nature, make her writings on homeopathy required reading for any actor, fiction writer, or psychotherapist. We’re all living organisms in and out of connection to the essences of Mother Earth, aren’t we?

Anyone else out there (besides J.D. Salinger) a homeopathy lover? Do you treat yourself or your family on your own? Or do you consult a professional homeopath? (It’s really the best way to learn.) I could write about my fruitful encounters with the pros (if you’re interested), or tell you about the day Mr. Chattering and I had one of the biggest arguments we’ve ever endured over whether to try a remedy given to us by a liscensed homeopath, OR put our then-15-month-old son on a third round of antibiotics to heal a chronic ear infection. In the end, we used homeopathy and I’ve sworn by its effectiveness in relieving the aggravations of common ailments ever since.

Laurie Sue

posted October 27, 2006 at 2:33 pm

Hope young Chatterling is feeling better! What a clever and caring Mommy you are. Yes, I usually keep Rescue Remedy in my purse and arnica in the house. Helps the dog too!

PAMELA HENRY

posted October 27, 2006 at 7:12 pm

BEEN USING HOMOEPATHY FOR YEARS TREAT EVERY THING WITH IT .SINCE I LIVE IN RURAL ALASKA DOCTORS ARE HARD TO COME BY AND MATTERS OF LIFE OR DEATH HAPPEN IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE FROM ARNICA TO ACONITE TO CHAMOMILLE ITS ALL HELPFUL TO HAVE

Myrna

posted October 28, 2006 at 7:23 am

Amy, I have a wonderful book on homeopathy by Amy Lansky, Impossible Cure, well worth the read. She cured her child of a kind of autism. My brother is a homeopath and I have been to atleast 15 in the past 20 yrs. Some have been MD’s and others just certified in homeopathy. I now have arnica and hypericum in a few places, car and home. Ten years ago I was in a car accident and broke a bone in my nose. My brother brought arnica to the hospital. It was midnight. That’s love for you!! Actually, Susan Sonz, a homeopath herself holds classes on weekends at my health center, HealthyBody NYC. What a good dose of homeopathic talk. You asked!

Sarah

posted October 28, 2006 at 3:12 pm

Dear CM, There’s a school of thought that says that illness and even injuries (like the one your son experienced with his finger) are messages from our psyche. We can interpret the injury or illness, like we would a dream, to find out what our inner self is trying to tell us. Somewhere I have a book that lists many ailments and their possible “meaning”, but unfortunately, I can’t find the book (we recently moved and are still a bit disorganized!) which is too bad, because I d love to look up what an injury to a finger could mean. I think different fingers have different meanings. What you’re doing or where you are when the injury takes place can often yield clues as to the message the injury is trying to deliver. Because the injury occurred to your oldest son on his way in to school, perhaps he is currently facing some sort of frustration in school. Also, which ever side of the body the injury occurs, can also have significance. se

becky

posted October 29, 2006 at 6:56 pm

dear cm, i’m very interested in homeopathy. i would love to hear more on the subject.

Myrna

posted October 30, 2006 at 5:16 am

Becky, Read Amy Lanksky’s Impossible Cure. You will get a good wonderful reading dose of homeopathy.

brian

posted October 30, 2006 at 6:29 pm

you called him back out of class to put a different brand of goo on his finger. what on earth lol

Marsha K

posted October 30, 2006 at 7:10 pm

Becky: You can check out the National Center for Homeopathy. They can lead you to study groups, homeopathic doctors, where to buy remedies, books, etc. I’ve used homeopathy for 25 years, raised 4 children on homeopathy, and will always use homeopathy. Marsha

Marsha K

posted October 30, 2006 at 7:20 pm

I have used hypericum for little fingers getting smashed in car doors, for whip lash, for any type of nerve damage. I started a homeopathic study group in 1983 and we have been meeting once a month since then. Anyone interested in learning homeopathy can look for a study group in their area. Just contact the National Center for Homeopathy, http://www.homeopathic.org or call 877-624-0613. They can direct you to the nearest study group or to the nearest homeopathic practitioner. I am never without my arnica. I have raised 4 children on homeopathy. I am also 55 years old and have never been to a doctor. When I get sick (seldom) I find the right remedy and it cures whatever ailment I have, doesn’t suppress or mask symptoms, but cures. The trick is finding the right remedy and that takes either studying or finding a good homeopath. My latest success story was my nephews 2 month old baby, had severe colic, gave him chamomilla and he is fine. The best first book to get is HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINE AT HOME by Dr. Panos.

Myrna

posted October 31, 2006 at 6:55 pm

Marsha, what city is your group in and how can I contact you? Thanks, Myrna

brian

posted November 6, 2006 at 9:59 pm

i got sinus infections all year.. what can I take for that. what brand of goo do i eat

Homeopath

posted January 13, 2007 at 2:02 pm

Very interesting post really as we all know that homeopathy is a complex subject and quiet difficult to remember as hundreds of medicines are indicated in a disease,but in http://homeojunction.blogspot.com/ only 3 medicines are given with their symptoms, which makes this blog unique and comprehensive.

Johne418

posted April 30, 2014 at 10:58 pm

As soon as I detected this site I went on reddit to share some of the love with them. abbedaaebcdb

Johne914

posted May 4, 2014 at 7:39 pm

When some one searches for his necessary thing, so heshe desires to be available that in detail, thus that thing is maintained over here. kceebbfagbea

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Chattering Mind. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Happy Reading!!!

posted 9:09:39am Jul. 10, 2012 | read full post »

CM's Final Posts: You Can Fill the Space
Eighteen years ago, I wrote an article for a magazine that got me called in for a taped interview with a Fox TV morning news anchor. Being an effective communicator and a skillful public speaker was a dream of mine at the time. And still is. After some 30 minutes of prep with the station's hair-and-

posted 3:14:59pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Websites to Visit, Blogs to Read
Here are some blogs and websites I like. It's not a complete list. But it's a start. The first is called New Moon Journal and it is written by Michele Bailey-Lessirard, a life coach, collage artist, and "shamanic astrologer." On the opening page of her site, you'll find a little slide show of her am

posted 1:24:03pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Still Posted at My Desk
"Take off from here. And don't be so earnest, let others wear the sackcloth and the ashes. Let go, let fly, forget. You've listened long enough. Now strike your note." From "Station Island," by Seamus Heaney

posted 1:13:33pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

And Finally, This:
Place your burden at the feet of the Lord of the Universe who accomplishes everything. Remain all the time steadfast in the heart, in the Transcendental Absolute. God knows the past, present and future. He will determine the future for you and accomplish the work. What is to be done will be done at

posted 11:30:38am Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »