Chattering Mind

Chattering Mind

World Cup Conclusion: Time Out, Buddy! Go to Your Room!

posted by chattering mind

Chattering Mind likes to waltz into the family room to fold laundry during the last fifteen minutes of any televised sporting event. Often, this strikes everyone as obnoxious. But boy, did I get an eyeful during the last ten minutes of yesterday’s World Cup, when French soccer team captain Zinedine Zidane, previously known for his class and aplomb, was kicked out of the game for viciously knocking Italian defender Marco Materazzi off his feet with a head butt to the sternum.

It was a “red card” penalty that may well have cost the French the match; Zidane is a great kicker and the WC’s outcome was determined by penalty kicks, to say nothing of how the whole episode must have upset–bewildered? demoralized?–what remained of the French team. When your leader loses it, it’s always bad.

While one sports writer called the move a“sad ending to a magical career,” I couldn’t detach from my Mommy mindset.

“Automatic time out, buddy! Go to your room!” is what I would have shouted had I been the ref.

Another television analyst said that the 34-year-old Zidane “had a chance to go out at ‘god status,’ but he just proved how human he is.”

The whole Chattering family was stunned. Great teaching moment, to say the least. What did you think?

Caffe

posted July 11, 2006 at 1:14 am

Just typical of the French. If things aren’t going their way, then it’s the hiway. That, and they just proved how much they hate how Milan is taking away Paris’ title as fashion capital of the world. And that they do have an attitude problem.>

Anonymous

posted July 11, 2006 at 1:20 am

Was the “other” television analyst French? Was he kidding?? “Zidane proved just how ‘human’ he was”? More like, proved just what an animal he can be!!>

Patricia Hannaway

posted July 11, 2006 at 2:18 pm

I agree. Sports has sunk so low and that bad behavior keeps getting rewarded by big money. Enough I say. Time out indeed! The way we “play” sports seems to somehow emulate the way we live and it sure isn’t pretty!>

Kathy

posted July 11, 2006 at 3:57 pm

Hubby and I were recently watching a trick pool tournament on some obscure ESPN channel. The players were making their fancy shots dressed in white shirts, black pants and vests. They displayed humor and grace even as they showed great concentration and competetiveness. They shook hands with their competitors. I said “wow wouldn’t it be great if all sports were like this, instead of like basketball with all the tantrums, swearing and bad on and off court behavior?>

Sheri D

posted July 11, 2006 at 4:18 pm

Our local radio station played a clip of the French announcer cried out in despair, “Mais pourquois? Mais pourquois?” (But why? But why?) Why, indeed. Sportsmen are rightly held to a higher standard. All I can say is, it’s my good fortune that my worst moments in life are not captured by live cameras, broadcast worldwide.>

Mary Ulyssa

posted July 11, 2006 at 5:39 pm

I was watching the game and saw this incident. I felt very sad…It was so unfortunate that Zidane allowed himself to lose control to the extent that he did….it was a life changing moment for him, something that people will not forget. A sad ending to a brilliant career.>

Elayne

posted July 11, 2006 at 5:43 pm

I too couldn’t help thinking like a parent…and was glad the un sportsman like conduct was noticed by the other official, and that action was taken right then and there. When acting like a child, Time Out for the rest of the game was absolutely correct.>

Naima

posted July 11, 2006 at 5:56 pm

Your comments all betray a lack of respect for the French and French culture in the person of one celebrity athlete! I detect some glee at another’s misfortune – hardly a Buddhist teaching. By the way, animals do not lose it. When they are aggressive it is with intention, necessary for the predatory or defensive behaviors in the animal kingdom. The higher mind of the human being can control these instinctual and territorial behaviors. Too often we fail to do so, but the “like an animal” metaphor is misplaced, I think. No one knows what occured except Zidane and his opponent. What kind of agggression came out of the mouth of the Italian? What would it take to set you off, dear reader? I wonder. In any case, athletes may be held to a higher standard at great risk to the rest of us. We have them do our acting and achieving for us at our own risk. I am glad the head butt landed in the chest and not in the face of his opponent. Much more harm could have been done. As my husband, a terrific, devoted and controlled soccer player had to say – it is all in the game. He wanted Italy to vindicate Brazil by defeating France, but he refuses to demonize Le Zidane! It is all in the game. Peace>

Gabrielle

posted July 11, 2006 at 6:58 pm

Were the word’s of the Italian player any less harmful than the head-butt? Did he talk trash about the Zidane’s mother,whereas all’s fair in love and war can come out to play.Humanes need to remember that we are animals first and foremost and all the higher thinking in the world will not change that fact. In the media game where the public has amnesia by day two,he will be long remembered and in that, he has played beautifully.>

Elinor Bowles

posted July 11, 2006 at 7:00 pm

Why hasn’t anyone said what the Italian player said to Zidane that enraged the French player, known for his usually sportsmanlike behavior, and caused him to “lose it”? The Italian insulted Zidane’s ethnicity and displayed a level of racism that is totally unacceptable, on or off the sports field. Yes, Zidane is human. I am only glad that the Italian wasn’t severely injured. Let’s tell the whole story.>

daria

posted July 11, 2006 at 10:06 pm

Boys will be boys, men behaving badly, national rivalries, trash talk, heat of the moment, performance anxiety, farewell fears; it’s all applicable. Of all the ink and saliva spent on this, I believe my favorite is the tribute paid the Greeks. What hubris! Isn’t this all just an object lesson in sportsmanship and character?>

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Chattering Mind. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Happy Reading!!!

posted 9:09:39am Jul. 10, 2012 | read full post »

CM's Final Posts: You Can Fill the Space
Eighteen years ago, I wrote an article for a magazine that got me called in for a taped interview with a Fox TV morning news anchor. Being an effective communicator and a skillful public speaker was a dream of mine at the time. And still is. After some 30 minutes of prep with the station's hair-and-

posted 3:14:59pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Websites to Visit, Blogs to Read
Here are some blogs and websites I like. It's not a complete list. But it's a start. The first is called New Moon Journal and it is written by Michele Bailey-Lessirard, a life coach, collage artist, and "shamanic astrologer." On the opening page of her site, you'll find a little slide show of her am

posted 1:24:03pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Still Posted at My Desk
"Take off from here. And don't be so earnest, let others wear the sackcloth and the ashes. Let go, let fly, forget. You've listened long enough. Now strike your note." From "Station Island," by Seamus Heaney

posted 1:13:33pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

And Finally, This:
Place your burden at the feet of the Lord of the Universe who accomplishes everything. Remain all the time steadfast in the heart, in the Transcendental Absolute. God knows the past, present and future. He will determine the future for you and accomplish the work. What is to be done will be done at

posted 11:30:38am Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »