Chattering Mind

Chattering Mind

Sublime or Ridiculous?

posted by chattering mind

I have made the conscious decision to start dressing like a goddess. Well, some might say “like a total kook.”

Today, for instance, I put on a black cotton top which has white shells and silver sequins descending the V-neck, and a calf-length black skirt underwhich peeps–this is key–a frothy, white gypsy petticoat that has small bells sewn within it.

If I hold my stomach in, I look really good. And when I walk, I ring!

Nope, I’m not going to a square dance. I’m only scheduled to blog and greet the dog groomer today. But I feel vibrant and divinely feminine (are those iron supplements also kicking in?).

What do you do to bolster yourself? Men, don’t abandon me here! I noticed on the cover of last week’s Newsweek that Johnny Depp looked healthy and virile wearing, among other things, a nice-looking leather cuff on his wrist. Just a little thing.

As I age, I feel a greater need to express myself with a few out-of-the-ordinary accoutrements. They sort of stand in for my personality until I open my mouth. And because I spent more than forty years believing that it was always best to be 1. smart and 2. elegantly understated, I now believe that dressing more flamboyantly is, for me, one way to connect with my spiritual path. This is not about materialism. I’m not trying to get anyone’s attention. I’m just spreading my vital life force!

Does this pass as spiritual practice? When accompanied by the right intent, I’d say so.

daria

posted June 27, 2006 at 12:56 am

Although I’m not a fan of petticoats per se (I’d look like an idiot wearing one), I am enjoying CM’s delight. I especially like your comment, “They sort of stand in for my personality until I open my mouth.” It’s possible your petticoats are like my shawls. I started collecting shawls years ago after receiving one in cashmere as a gift from a larger-than-life Russian woman whom I admired. Whenever I wore it, I felt like I was wrapped in her spirit and energy; I loved the way it looked, but even more, how it made me feel. So I started looking for others whenever I traveled overseas. I’d look in markets and tiny shops, often meeting the person who wove or knitted the shawl. Today I own perhaps a dozen, from wool to linen and silk, each with their own story. I wear them routinely and often, and always with a smile. Do they bring out my inner goddess? If this means feeling connected and at home in my own skin, then I guess they do. P.S. CM, the next time your husband is scratching his head over what gift to get you, ask him to read your blog. :) >

Chana Silverman

posted June 27, 2006 at 4:09 pm

It is a lovely idea and I am so glad someone besides me (hehe) wants to express spiritually though/in dress! I belong to a community that prefers its woman dress modestly.(Chabad) When I look around at how American woman dress sometimes I am appaled! As a nation do we have such little respect for our gender? I felt so good giving up the wearing of pants. tho I do not believe there is anything wrong in wearing them, I truly love the way I feel in dresses and skirts. I have a feminine dignity now that in one with my spiritually.>

Eevie Keys

posted June 27, 2006 at 5:38 pm

CM, this post made my day. Today I’m wearing a flowing, cranberry gypsy top with a long (ankle-length), black skirt that has an undercoat. I felt like such a Goddess this morning when I dressed this way- and you capture that joy perfectly here. :)>

Patty

posted June 27, 2006 at 10:36 pm

I love this question because it taps into something I have been doing since I was a teenager and it just became part of me that I didn’t notice it until people would comment on it: I like to wear jewelry that might be vintage, or homemade, or artsy, or something that belonged to one of my grandmothers or my great aunt. It’s not expensive stuff, but it is sentimental to me and expresses my inner self. I consider wearing accesories–specifically jewelry–an expression of myself and my mood or my values or my artist self that I can “express” on a daily basis. I embrace that part of me and value the freedom of creativity that it gives me every day. I don’t wear it to impress other people, but to express a part of myself.>

eastcoastlady

posted June 28, 2006 at 2:20 pm

Why not? Who’s harmed? If it brings a person in touch with something deeper, what the hey!>

wendy

posted June 28, 2006 at 2:22 pm

I too was always dressing in an understated elegant style.short “business ” hair cut, pearl earrings, linen suits,……very severe and all business.I had started on a path of spiritual growth, and decided to make a few changes.First, I started to grow out my hair.Wow.what a difference in how feminine I look and feel.next, I went back to the gypsy type flowing skirts I used to wear to Grateful Dead shows, I added lots of jewlery which has meaning to me…..crystals, stones, animal totems , and lots of turquois.I am feeling so much more in tune with the earth and with myself.I am glad to find others who have made the same discovery.I am enjoying becoming the “me” I am designed to be!>

Stacey-Robin

posted June 28, 2006 at 7:43 pm

O.K., I’m connecting with everyone here! I’ve taken to collecting shawls and wraps–I love the warmth an ease of carrying. I also love the “unexpectedness” of it–the looks and compliments I get on the train reinforce the idea that dramatic drape is regal, dramatic and almost queen/Goddess like! People think about the comings/goings and imaginings of woman who opts for a beautiful shawl, rather than a sweater . . . really.>

Lynn Caverly

posted June 29, 2006 at 7:55 pm

I too have recently re-embraced the aging hippie chick that resides inside me. I am lucky enought to work in a artsy-creative envioronment where that is o.k., even when I venture onto the main campus of the public university for which I work. Een the, it isn’t a big deal as everyone expects that of me know. I was never really, and won’t ever be, the pantyhose-pumps type of girl.>

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Chattering Mind. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Happy Reading!!!

posted 9:09:39am Jul. 10, 2012 | read full post »

CM's Final Posts: You Can Fill the Space
Eighteen years ago, I wrote an article for a magazine that got me called in for a taped interview with a Fox TV morning news anchor. Being an effective communicator and a skillful public speaker was a dream of mine at the time. And still is. After some 30 minutes of prep with the station's hair-and-

posted 3:14:59pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Websites to Visit, Blogs to Read
Here are some blogs and websites I like. It's not a complete list. But it's a start. The first is called New Moon Journal and it is written by Michele Bailey-Lessirard, a life coach, collage artist, and "shamanic astrologer." On the opening page of her site, you'll find a little slide show of her am

posted 1:24:03pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Still Posted at My Desk
"Take off from here. And don't be so earnest, let others wear the sackcloth and the ashes. Let go, let fly, forget. You've listened long enough. Now strike your note." From "Station Island," by Seamus Heaney

posted 1:13:33pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

And Finally, This:
Place your burden at the feet of the Lord of the Universe who accomplishes everything. Remain all the time steadfast in the heart, in the Transcendental Absolute. God knows the past, present and future. He will determine the future for you and accomplish the work. What is to be done will be done at

posted 11:30:38am Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »