Chattering Mind

Chattering Mind

Capote’s ‘Christmas Memory’

posted by chattering mind

With the hot movie about Truman Capote still in the theaters, everybody’s rereading Capote’s “In Cold Blood,” the true story of two men with closeted sexual issues who brutally murder a wholesome Kansas family of four. I say, “There is another way to understand this remarkable author!” You’ll find a deeper, sweeter, still-alienated Capote in his 1956 work “A Christmas Memory,” which I was excited to recently find in the online Chinaberry catalog.

This is the story of the tender friendship of seven-year-old Capote, and an elderly cousin who was his caretaker in the Alabama town of his youth (the same town described by Capote’s friend Harper Lee in the monumental “To Kill a Mockingbird”).

“A Christmas Memory” begins with the recognition of “fruitcake weather” in late November and ends with a portrayal of the world’s sweetest Christmas gift exchange. You’ll catch the flavor of Capote’s Depression-era youth, a time when a child and an old woman could send a fruitcake to President Roosevelt and fully expect that he’d eat it. The book’s ending will leave you so touched and connected that you’ll stretch out on your couch and nap, dreaming of the handmade paper kites Capote and his friend fly Christmas morning.

Chinaberry’s website (one of my favorites) also features Thanksgiving Day books for kids. You might need one to cuddle up with while the turkey roasts. Two more weeks!

sueE

posted November 10, 2005 at 4:57 pm

Hi Linda, My husband and I were together for a total of 16 years. We separated after 13, got back together, and finally divorced in 1999. It was REALLY PAINFULL. Especially when we crossed paths in public places. I rented a condo in a complex with a pool and club house and have never been so lonely. I took my time to start dating again and eventually, after a LOT of one time dates had a couple of serious relationships. The first…we were just not a match in the long term…the second…I was getting so much pressure from friends and family because I was ‘alone’. I am single, happy and whole. I have a great friendship with my ex-husband – we share custody of our dog –he gets pizza and football on Sunday, and have -with effort- established a good social life. I lived with friends for a couple of years after the loneliness of the condo. I’ve recently found a lovely (tiny) house downtown so I can walk to work and if I have no plans for the weekend can go to the farmers market, stroll around and always meet people, see things,always come home with a smile or a laugh…..It has taken a lot of time and a lot of pain and confusion. But you know what…. As a not particularly religious person, I do know that life (God?) is getting You Ready For Yourself. I don’t know how long ‘alone’ has been for you. In some ways, I think it’s important -very important- to go through it. And in other ways, we are never totally alone…check out this Blog site! Big Hugs Linda…You are not alone…Single does not mean alone. XOXOXO>

Lula

posted November 10, 2005 at 4:58 pm

Wonderful thought. I will try to beleive it’s true. When I first became single I told my father I hoped I would someday find some wonderful person to share my life with. My dad told me that he was sure I was the wonderful person that someone is looking for. Those were the nicest words I had heard in many years. Thank you for your story.>

Ali

posted November 10, 2005 at 4:58 pm

I, too have been hurt and have a mind that apparently loves to chatter. I am, for the most part, happily married. The problem is I am still in love with another man who I have loved for over 13 years. It never worked out between us yet my mind always goes back to him. We are always brought back together and the old feelings are always there on both parts. Why wont it just go away so that we can be friends? Any ideas?>

dana

posted November 10, 2005 at 4:59 pm

I’ve been deeply hurt and mind chatter has been my worst enemy. Please, if there is a way to release the pain I would appreciate any suggestions. I know I haven’t even crossed his mind as within less than a year he has married who he cheated on me with. HELP!!!>

Ann Marie

posted November 10, 2005 at 5:00 pm

Wonderful advice. As a Clairvoyant Adviser for 35 Years, I will send this article to all the rejected love forlorn clients I have. Thankyou. I wake up to Beliefnet and coffee each morning. It gives me the spirit fortitude to face each days clients with compassion and truth. Love, Ann Marie>

Linda

posted November 10, 2005 at 5:01 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Those words are what I needed to hear. I have always said that I am comfortable being alone, but I’m not. I want to be with someone and feel that God intends for that as well. But, I get scared and concentrate on the fact that I’m alone rather than be grateful for it. I pray there is someone that God is getting ready for me and visa versa. Bless you.>

steve

posted November 14, 2005 at 4:48 pm

they made a television special of a christmas memory. geraldine fitzgerald starred in it. she was great in it. it was a beautifully done special. they used to show it around the holidays. i’d love to see it again.>

Sonia Liskoski

posted November 15, 2005 at 4:47 pm

Those of us furtunate enough to live within the broadcast area of WQED Pittsburgh can hear Truman Capote narrate this simply beautiful and beautifully simple story every Thanksgiving. It leaves one quiet and perhaps tearful.>

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Chattering Mind. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Happy Reading!!!

posted 9:09:39am Jul. 10, 2012 | read full post »

CM's Final Posts: You Can Fill the Space
Eighteen years ago, I wrote an article for a magazine that got me called in for a taped interview with a Fox TV morning news anchor. Being an effective communicator and a skillful public speaker was a dream of mine at the time. And still is. After some 30 minutes of prep with the station's hair-and-

posted 3:14:59pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Websites to Visit, Blogs to Read
Here are some blogs and websites I like. It's not a complete list. But it's a start. The first is called New Moon Journal and it is written by Michele Bailey-Lessirard, a life coach, collage artist, and "shamanic astrologer." On the opening page of her site, you'll find a little slide show of her am

posted 1:24:03pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Still Posted at My Desk
"Take off from here. And don't be so earnest, let others wear the sackcloth and the ashes. Let go, let fly, forget. You've listened long enough. Now strike your note." From "Station Island," by Seamus Heaney

posted 1:13:33pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

And Finally, This:
Place your burden at the feet of the Lord of the Universe who accomplishes everything. Remain all the time steadfast in the heart, in the Transcendental Absolute. God knows the past, present and future. He will determine the future for you and accomplish the work. What is to be done will be done at

posted 11:30:38am Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »