Casting Stones

Casting Stones

Barack Obama’s Hindu Lucky Charm

posted by dali

A Time magazine photograph of Barack Obama’s hands, displaying his favorite charms, sported this caption: “Amongst the things that Barack Obama carries for good luck is a bracelet belonging to a soldier deployed in Iraq, a gambler’s lucky chit, a tiny monkey god and a tiny Madonna and child.”

The tiny monkey god has been interpreted to be none other than the Hindu god Hanuman. Why would he choose this lucky charm? It is widely reported that Obama, whose father was a Kenyan and mother a white woman from Kansas, spent initial days of his life in Indonesia where Hinduism is a popular religion. So is this an influence from his Indonesian childhood?

Hanuman is the god that Hindus, especially young children, are taught to turn to when they are afraid of something or get bad dreams at night. Hanuman is said to be the protector who keeps evil away. This extremely powerful son of the wind god is said to be incredibly strong, invincible, the most intelligent being on earth, and immortal. Known as the “remover of distress” Hanuman is especially known for relieving difficulties. In Hindu mythology, Hanuman is also considered the incarnation of Shiva, the destroyer of all evil.

Usually the image of Hanuman is seen with only two arms, but as with Obama’s charm, the monkey god is also represented with four arms in some regions of Southeast Asia, like Thailand. (The Chinese also are reported to have a monkey god. But while neither Obama nor his aides have said anything about this or his other good luck charms, all inferences assume his little monkey charm to be Hanuman. Interestingly enough (and predictably), over the last couple of days every Indian newspaper has carried this story and photograph, with “Hanuman” and “Obama” on practically every headline.

Whatever his reasons are for choosing his lucky pieces, Obama is certainly is a nominee who represents an atypical cross section of people. And surely seems like the popular Hindu monkey god is an apt charm for this presidential contender. With all the mudslinging and squabbling that is going on, Obama could certainly use all the help he can get to ward off evil and difficulties.

In contrast to Obama’s many charms is a lucky penny that Republican candidate John McCain carries with him. Time magazine reports that he also carries a lucky nickel and a lucky rubber band, which he wears around his wrist. Apparently he also has a lucky sweater and a lucky hotel room in New Hampshire, according to the caption on his photo.

Will this trivia help us vote? I’m not sure, but it certainly gives voters a peek into the nominees’ minds and mental makeup. As I see it, there is one who is different and represents change for those that are looking for a transformation, and then there is one who is plain old, the kind of old that suits those who are comfortable and happy with the way things are …

–Visi Tilak

Maya

posted July 13, 2008 at 11:17 am

YAY Obama!

Jade

posted July 13, 2008 at 11:33 am

This article REEKS of prejudice against the Hindu religion. Would you say his Madonna and child charm is from the Christian Catholic mythology???
And why shouldn’t every Indian newspaper report the story? Even though Hinduism is the world’s third largest religion, it is so often pushed aside and not included when people have discussions about faith related issues that it’s like winning the lottery when there is actually a mention of Hinduism from a non-Indian source!!
From the Time mag picture, it definitely looks like Thailand’s variation of Sri Hanuman.

Jon

posted July 13, 2008 at 3:28 pm

It sure is simple minded of some people to judge leadership and administrative skills based on lucky charms. Guess sticking ones head in the sand makes them feel better. There is no way anyone raised on corrupt Chicago politcs with no experience of any kind can offer any change except how to flush the country down the drain. Sadly, there is only one candidate who has earned his credentials and brings integrity and honor into the picture. In case some have forgotten integrity and honor are not loftily proclaimed. They are a product of life’s experience and demonstrated. Just like patrotism!!!!

Gwendolyn Lemieux

posted July 13, 2008 at 6:43 pm

I just cannot understand how a man that claimed to be first a muslim, second a Christan and now a hindu can seem normal to the American publc? Have the American people lost their minds? I do not like the Republican party. We now have a nut case or another Bush man to choose from. I refuse to vote any longer. The deligates decide every thing anyway. Why bother? Praise the Lord/God of Abraham. I’m quite lucky to be in the situation where I can leave this country. It seems quite silly to put a man in the White House who carries trinkets in his pockets for good luck

Sanjay Kaul

posted July 13, 2008 at 8:06 pm

Mangal moorat maruti nandan,sakal amangal mool nikandan(Hey lord,son of wind God,with ausipicious presence ever-the destroyer of the roots of all evils and dangers and things nightmarish)
I invoke thee with reverence….Bajrang Bali(the mightiest one!,I think)
By the way,Hanuman has been considered the greatest and the dearest devotee of the Cosmic Consciousness( Param Brahma) Personified.
Do apologise to the ones who mind,for using the spiritual terminology.
Good job we are communicating in English on the subject….BECAUSE IT WAS THE OFTEN BELEAGURED BRITISH OF THE EAST INDIA COMPANY in the 19 th century who took shelter under the wings of Lord Hanuman as well….
and it proved to be quite a LUCKY move,the history which ensued saw the `Jewel of the Crown’ in the British kitty ,before too long.
The copper coin depicting Lord Hanuman and what was to be later addressed as the `nation of the shopkeepers ‘on the other & minted by the then colonialists is a living proof towards this..
Anyone interested to see this lucky charm ,and keep it as well,for free…connect now.
Jay

Sanjay Kaul

posted July 13, 2008 at 8:39 pm

Hi Gwendolyn,
I can fully understand your sense of dismay …..and the momentary outburst.
Well…FAITH WORKS (maybe not the trinkets as such)..and it works overtime for some.
Regards,
Jay

Rebecca Mazzarella

posted July 14, 2008 at 8:21 am

In the concluding paragraphs of the article the writer clearly states his preference for the candidate who has a new outlook, is open to various opinions, ideas, and beliefs, and will possibly transform our nation into a true democracy, where all voices will be heard and all persons will be considered equal.
The person who said Obama first “claimed to be a muslim,” is hovering near a black hole in outer space with her misinformation; let’s hope she doesn’t vote. Maybe she should move to Iraq or Afghanistan and find out what horrors people live with because of the current administration.
The fact that the article mentions lucky charms for both candidates touches on the fact that McCain’s charms mostly involve money. What does that tell us? Haven’t we had enough of greedy, corrupt politicians?
No mention is made of the Madonna and Child. Is that totally irrelevant? Let’s hope the Mother of God and the spirit of Hanuman watch over this man who can deliver some real change and give us hope, and that who try to bring him down with their cheap shots and lies are unsuccessful.

D Steele

posted July 14, 2008 at 9:28 am

I thought a small child handed him the monkey charm on a visit to the Bronx Zoo. Is the Bronx Zoo a secret Hindu Temple?

kirwani

posted July 14, 2008 at 11:53 am

i am amazed at the info that some of your posters make up.
when was Barak ever a Muslim? His Father was a Muslim and didn’t have much of a role in Barak’s upbringing.
He is a Christian and just because he is carrying an item that people THINK is Hanuman-you are now giving him credit for being Hindu?
i have no problem with any of the faiths, but don’t just make things up about a person.

Ondina Soler

posted July 14, 2008 at 11:05 pm

Every body has “lucky charms”. I have special or lucky rocks, special or lucky coins. I have a charm that mt parents gave to me when I turned 15, it’s a calendar of my birth month and year, with my birth date, and that has a diamond on it. That doesn’t mean that I worship myself!!
Charms come and go through the ages… what really matters is what drives you, what you believe in!

C.Flem.

posted July 15, 2008 at 5:44 pm

I wonder how the christians are going to run with this one!!! sigh

Harish Bahri

posted July 16, 2008 at 9:52 am

Such beliefs, at times gives you lot of confidence which revitalises a person to do certain acts to ultimate victory. There is NO HARM .

ram9chandra

posted July 20, 2008 at 12:36 am

i agree with ondina soler. what is important here, is what drives you. if you place your trust in something, it is that trust that makes it work for you; same as in medication, if you believe it will heal you whe you take it, you stand a better chance of getting well.

Barak Man

posted November 7, 2008 at 8:29 am

All Hog Wash ………….

Delicious Monsters

posted January 17, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Looks like his lucky charm works!

WSAS

posted January 24, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Hinduism is mainly on the island of Bali. Obama was living in a moderate muslim enviroment on Java. So I highly doubt Hindu was an influence on him. Good on him if it did…

Scott C.

posted February 3, 2009 at 6:33 pm

It does not matter what charms he keeps as good luck, he is a puppet to the elite who are running this world, and those elite have silenced all of you because Bush had you all on the verge of Rebellion, and Obama came along and told you what you wanted to hear—CHANGE!!!! What change, he is leading us into WWIII and he is enjoying every bit of it. He has appointed criminals as part of his cabinet and there is no doubt that he was only put into office to calm down the masses. I see through all of it, and I have since I was a young teenager after the stories told to me by my Great-grandfather who was a Freemason. There is economic warfare going on right now, and European citizens are rioting as we speak, and believe me, they are rioting alot worse than what is being shown on American television. Be prepared people, get your head out of the sand and realize that something needs to be done. You cannot remain quiet and helpless when you know Tyranny is among us. There are over 600 FEMA camps in the United States ready for when the economy collapses, and this is all by design, and has been for thousands of years. At one of the Fema camps there are over 500,000 caskets that can fit at least 3 people in sitting right on the grounds. When they pass the law to take away your gun you will know the time is close at hand. There is a New World Order coming, and I myself will not be a part of it because I believe in Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness, which is being taken away more and more everyday. You all need to know this, but it is up to you whether you take heed to it.

Alan Biancchi

posted April 20, 2011 at 2:59 am

Primate in Chief: A Guide to Racist Barack Obama Monkey Photoshops
Anyone who has been on the real Internet knows that the Obama-as-ape Photoshop actually predates the mainstream talk about his birth certificate. How prevalent is it? Very. Here’s a collection of artwork depicting the nation’s first-ever African American president as a primate, which builds on a long history of various racist Obama caricatures.
See the photo of Barack Obama Money on http://www.imageshumor.com/political/p1259-barack-obama-monkey-humor-the-president-of-the-united-stateshumor.html
A perfect example of the argument in action is the post accompanying the above “Primate in Chief” image. It’s the kind of reasoning commonly employed in the online political debat.

Pingback: Obama the Hindu? - Gentle Wisdom

BARBARA6

posted September 23, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Big thanks to Dr. Soula, For the Biggest victory in my life ,though I got the magic from him paying for it but the money I paid for this charm and the things I have got from it cannot be put side by side at all.To cut my story short….I did the prayer you sent to me after I got the charm by courier .On the September 3rd 2013 I won $232.00, On the September 7th 2013 I won $150.00, On the september 10th 2013, I won $432.00, On the september 18th 2013 I won $509.00 ,On the september 20th 2013 I won $900.00, On the september 22nd 2013 I won the biggest victory -$23,342.00-twenty three thousand ,three hundred and forty two hundred US DOLLARS….you are my lord i will ever remain your devotee.You are free to contact drsoula_b@live.com so that you can also be rich with the lucky ring

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Casting Stones. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Faith, Media and Culture Prayer, Plain and Simple Happy Reading!!!

posted 9:07:21am Jul. 10, 2012 | read full post »

Same-Sex Marriage: Are the People Sovereign, or is it to be the Courts?
On Nov. 4, 2008, the people of California, Florida and Arizona joined the ranks of the nearly 40 of the United States that have outlawed same-sex marriage either by amending their respective state constitutions or by passing appropriate legislation. The three states mentioned above amended their sta

posted 4:11:30pm Nov. 14, 2008 | read full post »

Traditional Marriage Wins Big
Social conservatives and defenders of traditional marriage won tremendous strategic victories in ballot initiatives on Nov. 4. First and foremost, the defenders of traditional marriage overturned the California Supreme Court's legalization last June of same-sex marriage. Despite being outspent nearl

posted 11:35:03am Nov. 07, 2008 | read full post »

America: Fulfilling her promises
All Americans should take great pride and satisfaction in the election of an African-American as president of the United States. Given our nation's tragic racial history, it says something noble and fine about America that Barack Obama, both a product of a biracial marriage and the son of a Kenyan f

posted 2:03:21pm Nov. 06, 2008 | read full post »

The Party Platforms: Instructive Guides to Informed Voting - Part 3
Every year (beginning in 1988) the Southern Baptist Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission has published a comparison of the two major party platforms to assist Southern Baptists and other people of faith as they seek guidance in the decision for whom to cast their ballots in the presidential ele

posted 1:44:04pm Oct. 31, 2008 | read full post »