Blogalogue

Blogalogue

Jim Wallis: Personal and Social Responsibility

posted by kham

Your post is difficult to respond to. I am not interested in trying to debunk your caricature of me and my ideas point-by-point. It appears to be mostly one-liners and sweeping generalizations about whole groups of people without much substance. For example, there are those you would call liberals who have a very strong ethic of personal responsibility and family, and those you would call conservatives who do not. And, of course, vice versa. Real life often defies easy stereotypes.
David, it is possible to call for personal moral responsibility and social responsibility at the same time, moving beyond the old paradigms of liberal and conservative.

Both are important. I believe that a common-good agenda, rooted in the moral center, could unite diverse people on the really big issues. It is possible to “find common ground by moving to higher ground” and actually make some progress on the most important questions of our time.
If you know anything at all about me and my books, you know that what you’re attacking is neither what I say nor what I believe. If you want to debate someone who is pro-abortion and who is willing to defend what you call a socialist-activist role for government, find someone else. It’s not me.
So, let’s go back to the big picture. I’m glad that you think I’ve done “an amazing service in helping to legitimize the idea … that spiritual values deserve a role in shaping political values.” It’s what I have been saying and writing for more than thirty-five years. I’m very happy that the idea has now become a mainstream idea, with many voices saying what we’ve been saying for a long time.
But you say that we should have “litmus test for whether a candidate really feels God should have a say in the ordering of our laws.” There is a very large difference between grounding political ideas in spiritual values and thinking God should write our legislation, or that we can clearly know what God would write.
I have great respect for Judaism and the witness of the Hebrew Bible. I have written that the place to begin to understand the politics of God is with the prophets, the ancient moral articulators in the Scriptures who claimed to speak in “the name of the Lord.” Their topics were quite secular–land, labor, capital, wages, debt, taxes, equity, fairness, courts, prisons, immigrants, other races and peoples, economic divisions, social justice, war, and peace–the stuff of politics.
And they usually spoke to rulers, kings, judges, employers, landlords, owners of property and wealth, and even religious leaders. They spoke to “the nations,” and it was the powerful who were most often the prophets’ target audience; those in charge of things were the ones called to greatest accountability. And whom were the prophets usually speaking for? Most often, the dispossessed, widows and orphans (read: poor single moms), the hungry, the homeless, the helpless, the least, last, and lost. Is God into class warfare? No, God wants the “common good,” but speaking for the common good can get one accused of calling for class warfare–usually by the elites who control the political discussion and do not want too much conversation about what God thinks of our political priorities. But, you probably think the prophets believed in a “socialist-activist role for government.”
As a Christian, my world view is also shaped by the call of Jesus to a new order and a new community – an alternative community living a new way of life, visibly demonstrating the values of Jesus and the Kingdom of God. That is my starting point for faithful political witness. And with that as the vision, concrete political priorities and policies can be judged by whether they bring us closer to it or farther away from it.
I have written that on many of the critical issues of the day, I believe that there is common ground to be found. And I believe that the prospect of real social change can be animated by the testimony and action of faith. But I also believe that political appeals, even if rooted in religious convictions, must be argued on moral grounds rather than as religious demands–so that the people (citizens), whether religious or not, may have the capacity to hear and respond. Religion has no monopoly on morality, it must be disciplined by democracy and contribute to a better and more moral public discourse. Religious convictions must therefore be translated into moral arguments, which must win the political debate if they are to be implemented. We don’t get to win just because we are religious. Like any other citizens, we have to convince our fellow citizens that what we propose is best for the common good– for all of us and not just for the religious. We must make our appeals in moral language and secular people should not fear that such appeals will lead to theocracy.
We have to get beyond the caricature of people and groups and talk about real substance, real ideas, and real policy issues. Can you do that, David? And I never did get a response to whether you think that your share of our more than 500 billion tax dollars (so far) have been well spent on the war in Iraq.

Paul

posted June 16, 2008 at 7:36 pm

Amen and God speed! you have hit the mark!
Social Justice in America.

Steven Kippel

posted June 16, 2008 at 8:04 pm

So far Wallis has shown himself to be more gracious and nuanced with his arguments while David has been blunt and rude.
But, Jim, you do say we should live in a new community that is different than the ways of the world. How do we live in this new world while at the same time being involved in the politics of the world?
Should we not instead live in this new Kingdom calling the world out of their sin and into the new life which is not of this world?

Joshua

posted June 16, 2008 at 8:21 pm

Jim,
I have been appreciating your book, “God’s Politics. Why the right get’s it wrong and the left doesn’t get it,” ever since my pastor (at a very conservative church in California) started challenging our congregation to think more critically about the issues of import in the Bible. The book was on sale the next day in our church’s bookstore and I have been gobbling it up as fast I can during my commute (bus and rail commute that is.)
I have always had a very radical worldview; coupled with a very clear (yet at times confused,) spiritual connection with the teachings of Jesus Christ and the prophets. Like most radicals, i have struggled with some of the teachings in the Bible… that is until I began to actually read it! My family and I also began attending church very regularly at our current church. The pastor there is politically a conservative (or was until he read your book,) and that would always rub me the wrong way. I was able to muddle through the political pot shots because of his ability to mesh spirit, history and a little humor when appropriate. Not to mention that I have grown up from my earlier need to be different and now seek to be in community. In other words, I have learned to find common ground and subsequently have found that people work best together… when they actually work together to solve problems.
Your book has helped me in my attempts to reconcile what at one time seemed like disperate worlds… i also think you have gotten into my pastor who has been really challenging the congregation to wake up to our biblical calling for social justice. He is also urging us to consider the fact that God is neither a Dem or Rep (hmmmmm, sounds like a book i have read.)
I am appreciating your debate with Mr. Klinghoffer.
Mr Klinghoffer, would you mind, please sticking to the debate and not sliding into the kind of playground mockery that has ruined politics. Truth is always stranger than fiction… and in this case, also much more interesting.

Wolverine

posted June 17, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Jim Wallis wrote:
Nobody is saying that there aren’t liberals who are decent people, or conservatives who are total jerks. What we are saying is that liberalism itself tends to downplay personal resposibility too much. In effect Wallis is personalizing a question about policy. I think Klinghoffer would be willing to stipulate that Jim Wallis is a good father. Now let’s talk about welfare, or social security, or taxes.
I believe that a common good agenda, rooted in the moral center, could unite diverse people on the really big issues. It is possible to “find common ground by moving to higher ground” and actually make some progress on the most important questions of our time.
Okay, fine: where is this moral center, and how can we diferentiate between that and the left. Is there any practical policy difference we can draw? Klinghoffer is forthright about being a man of the right. I have been reading this blog for better than a year and have yet to see any actual policy prescription that differs significantly from those of Democratic party leadership. Did I miss something?
If you know anything at all about me and my books, you know that what you’re attacking is neither what I say nor what I believe. If you want to debate someone who is pro-abortion and who is willing to defend what you call a “socialist-activist role for government”, find someone else. It’s not me.
Gotta love those one-word quotations. Here’s the full sentence from Klinghoffer:
On abortion, your idea of being “anti-abortion,” as you put it, would oppose “criminalizing an agonizing and desperate choice” – the standard position of pro-choice, a/k/a pro-abortion, advocates.
Jim, your protest against the word “pro-abortion” is duly noted, but you leave a lot of important questions unanswered. Is it or is it not your position that abortion should remain legal? If your position is that abortion — however regrettable — should be legal, how does your position differ from that of Bill Clinton’s rhetorical formulation “safe, legal, and rare”? Did Bill Clinton’s scruples ever translate themselves into policy that effectively reduced abortion?
But you say that we should have a “litmus test for whether a candidate really feels God should have a say in the ordering of our laws” … There is a very large difference between grounding political ideas in spiritual values and thinking God should write our legislation, or that we can clearly know what God would write.
Actually, what Klinghoffer is saying that a candidate’s approach to abortion is a useful indicator of a candidate’s willingness to consider apiritual values. There is also a big difference between arguing that “God should have a say” and advocating theocracy.
We have to get beyond the caricature of people and groups and talk about real substance, real ideas, and real policy issues. Can you do that, David? I never did get a response to whether you think that your share of our more than 500 billion tax dollars (so far) have been well spent on the war in Iraq.
That’s funny, because I checked and you never actually asked Klinghoffer about his personal opinion of the Iraq War, you asked him what he thought the results would be from a national plebiscite:
Let’s ask the people if they’d rather have spent more than $500 billion over the last five years on jobs, education, healthcare and housing or on the war in Iraq. I’d be willing to accept the result, would you?
And as I mentioned earlier, we’ve actually had two elections since then and yet the war goes on.
Oh, that that bit about “Can you do that, David?”. Absolutely precious.
Wolverine
(Crossposted at God’s Politics)

Jorge Tyrone

posted June 17, 2008 at 3:21 pm

This seems to be nothing but “why can’t we all just get along?” fluff. There is no real point here.

aquaman

posted June 17, 2008 at 4:58 pm

“Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; that ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?”
No real point here, I guess.

Paul

posted June 18, 2008 at 12:27 pm

There are days I get up and wonder if we have it to good. Even with all the complaints we are still a very prosperous country. But the choices of our government, both home and abroad, has left me fearing that God will step in and let our enemies defeat and enslave us because we have enslaved ourselves to evil and injustice.
As I see it, ever since Vietnam, we have taken the wrong path. The Religious Right and the Secular Left have both led us away from the Unity of Christ and the living as a Godly Nation. We deserve to be enslaved by “Babylon” for our sins against humanity.
All have a responsibility to the needs of the people, the social justice is in the hands of the people. But if the people can’t or wont meet these needs, the the government “of the people” must take the lead “for the people”. The problem lies in the fact that this government has shown that it is incapable of doing the job very well. Even as millions of people have tried to help the Katrina victims, The Government has failed to properly manage the effort. The evidence is in and our leadership has shown that they should not be given the job and the people, churches and communities need to take matters in their own hand once more.
Moral responsibility is ultimantly in the hands of the people and we should have never put it in the grip of bureaucracy has led to corruption, deception and stupidity. Let the churches get busy and take the lead to correct this mess. It is our job to begin with.
If we keep failing each other in this matter, we fail God and we know that the only side God takes is His own.

michael foster

posted June 18, 2008 at 6:13 pm

For the life of me I can’t understand why we have to make abortion an issue.
If you wish to use the word of God as your authority I fail to see how one can conclude there is more than biological life in the womb. Only God can impute human life to biological life and in so doing form a unique human being. To believe man has the power to create human life is arrogance and false. Yes we can create biological life in the womb or in a test tube. However, we can’t impute a soul or a spirit to biological life. When our biological life dies, it is our soul and spirit that returns to God. Christians might argue only those who have faith in Christ will return to God and it seems every religion has another view. If faith in Christ is the means of salvation then certainly making an issue of abortion with an unbeliever only serves to harden the person towards Christ. However, if they were to first accept Christ as their personal savior, and then grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ perhaps they’ll never want or need an abortion. Let’s get our priorities right and keep the horse before the cart. Please examine the following scriptures and if I’m wrong feel free to let me know.
Job 33:4 “The Spirit of God has made me, And the breath of the Almighty gives me life
Psa 51:5
Behold, I was [born sinful, (awon)] brought forth in iniquity (sin nature), And in sin [(kata) the transmission of the sin nature] my mother conceived me.
Psa 139:13
For You formed my inward parts [kidneys]; You wove me [covered my biological life (sakak)] in my mother’s womb
Min beton – formed away from, separated from, removed from, out from the womb
Isa 44:2
Thus says the LORD who made you And formed you away from, separated from, removed from, out from the womb who will help you, `Do not fear, O Jacob My servant; And you Jeshurun whom I have chosen
Isa 44:24
Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, and the one who formed you away from, separated from, removed from, out from the womb from the womb, “I, the LORD, am the maker of all things, Stretching out the heavens by Myself And all alone spreading out the earth.
Isa 49:1
Listen to Me, O islands, And pay attention, you peoples from afar. The LORD called Me away from, separated from, removed from, out from, the womb; away from, separated from, removed from, out from the body of My mother He named Me.
Psa 22:9
Yet You are He who brought me forth away from, separated from, removed from, out from the womb; You made me trust when upon my mother’s breasts
Psa 22:10
Upon You I was cast from birth; You have been my God away from, separated from, removed from, out from, the womb from my mother’s womb.
Job 1:21
21 He said, “Naked I came away from, separated from, removed from, out from my mother’s womb, And naked I shall return there. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD.”
Furthermore, if evil people want to have abortions its okay with me, its just one less potential problem in the making.
Kindest,
Michael Foster

Robbie

posted June 19, 2008 at 12:06 pm

The question of the Iraq war is not all that relevant. Sensible people can have differing opinions on whether it was right or wrong to invade Iraq. Neither Barack Obama nor John McCain is going to pull American troops out of Iraq before the country is relatively stable.
If we are going to argue about whether the Iraq war was right or wrong, we should understand the purpose of the Iraq war, which is one of the purposes of our federal government, and that is to protect American citizens. Even the New Testament, with all Jesus’ talk about turning the other cheek, in Romans 12 states that the government “bears the sword” in order to “execute wrath upon” those who do evil.
As George Friedman writes (http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/stratfors_war_five_years_later), the purpose of the Iraq war was to change the behavior of certain Arab and Muslim countries, particularly Saudi Arabia, in order to get these countries to share intelligence and fight with us against al Qaida. This was the purpose of the war. The legal justifications for the war were WMD, human rights, some ties to terrorism, and Iraq’s violation of applicable UN resolutions.
If we are going to re-argue the Iraq war, Jim Wallis should address the specifics. It’s one thing to say war is bad. It’s another thing to actually be responsible for protecting your fellow citizens. Here is George Friedman of Stratfor:
We know what everyone would not have done in 2003; we are curious about what everyone would have done then. Afghanistan was an illusory option. The real choices were to try to block al Qaeda defensively or to coerce Islamic intelligence services to provide the United States with needed intelligence. By appearing to be a dangerous and uncontrolled power rampaging in the most strategic country in the region, the United States reshaped the political decisions countries like Saudi Arabia were making.

Michael Foster

posted June 19, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Tenakh/Hebrew/Old Testament
Prophecies
Fulfilled by
Jesus Christ, Messiah
ALL of these prophesies were made hundreds, sometimes thousands, of years before Jesus Christ was born. Looking in the face of how He literally fulfilled them all (plus hundreds more), it is an impossibility that He is not Messiah, Saviour of the world. The ONLY person…past, present or future…who could fulfill all these prophecies is Jesus Christ. See His genealogy starting from faithful Abraham.
If you have questions about Jesus Christ, the Jewish Messiah prophesied in the Tenakh, please write Daniel Sims, a missionary to the Jewish people or visit his website, The Hope of Israel Baptist Mission. Their mailing address is The Hope Of Israel Baptist Mission, P.O. Box 911, Powder Springs, GA 30127.
You may also contact “The Everlasting Nation,” (a.k.a. International Board of Jewish Missions.) P.O. Box 3307, Chattanooga, TN 37404.
Fulfilled Prophecy Tenakh/Hebrew Scripture New Testament
Messenger crying “Prepare ye the way of the Lord” Isaiah 40:3 Matthew 3:3
Would be a Prophet of the children of Israel Deuteronomy 18:15 Matthew 2:15
Called out of Egypt Hosea 11:1 Matthew 2:15
Slaughter of the children Jeremiah 31:15 Matthew2:18
Would be a Nazarene Judges 13:5; Amos 2:11;
Lam. 4:7 Matthew 2:23
Brought light to Zabulon & Nephthalm, Galilee of the Gentiles Isaiah 9:1-2 Matthew 4:15
Presented with gifts Psalm 72:10 Matthew 2:1, 11
Rejected by His own Isaiah 53:3 Matthew 21:42; Mark 8:31, 12:10; Luke 9:22, 17:25
He is the stone which the builders rejected which became the headstone Psalm 118:22-23; Isaiah 28:16 Matthew 21:42; I Peter 2:7
A stone of stumbling to Israel Isaiah 8:14-15 I Peter 2:8
He entered Jerusalem as a king
riding on an ass Zechariah 9:9 Matthew 21:5
Betrayed by a friend Psalms 41:9 John 13:21
Sold for 30 pieces of silver Zechariah 11:12 Matthew 26:15; Luke 22:5
The 30 pieces of silver given for the potter’s field Zechariah 11:12 Matthew 27:9-10
The 30 pieces of silver thrown in the temple Zechariah 11:13 Matthew 27:5
Forsaken by His disciples Zechariah 13:7 Matthew 26:56
Accused by false witnesses Psalm 35:11 Matthew 26:60
Silent to accusations Isaiah 53:7 Matthew 27:14
Heal blind/deaf/lame/dumb Isaiah 35:5-6; Isaiah 29:18 Matthew 11:5
Preached to the poor/brokenhearted/captives Isaiah 61:1 Matthew 11:5
Came to bring a sword, not peace Micah 7:6 Matthew 10:34-35
He bore our sickness Isaiah 53:4 Matthew 8:16-17
Spat upon, smitten and scourged Isaiah 50:6, 53:5 Matthew 27:26, 30
Smitten on the cheek Micah 5:1 Matthew 27:30
Hated without a cause Psalm 35:19 Matthew 27:23
The sacrificial lamb Isaiah 53:5 John 1:29
Given for a covenant Isaiah 42:6; Jeremiah 31:31-34 Romans 11:27/Galatians 3:17, 4:24/Hebrews 8:6, 8, 10; 10:16, 29; 12:24; 13:20
Would not strive or cry Isaiah 42:2-3 Mark 7:36
II Samuel 22:44-45; Psalm 2:7-8 Matthew 8:10
Crucified with criminals Isaiah 53:12 Matthew 27:35
His body was pierced Zechariah 12:10; Ps. 22:16 John 20:25, 27
Thirsty during execution Psalm 22:16 John 19:28
Given vinegar and gall for thirst Psalm 69:21 Matthew 27:34
Soldiers gambled for his garment Psalm 22:18 Matthew 27:35
People mocked, “He trusted in God, let Him deliver him!” Psalm 22:7-8 Matthew 27:43
People sat there looking at Him Psalm 22:17 Matthew 27:36
Cried, “My God, my God why hast thou forsaken me?” Psalm 22:1 Matthew 27:46
Darkness over the land Amos 8:9 Matthew 27:45
No bones broken Psalm 34:20, Numbers 9:12 John 19:33-36
Side pierced Zechariah 12:10 John 19:34
Buried with the rich Isaiah 53:9 Matthew 27:57, 60
Resurrected from the dead Psalm 16:10-11; 49:15 Mark 16:6
Priest after the order of Melchizedek Psalm 110:4 Hebrews 5:5-6; 6:20; 7:15-17
Ascended to right hand of God Psalm 68:18 Luke 24:51
LORD said unto Him, “Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool Psalm 110:1 Matt 22:44; Mark 12:36;, 16:19; Luke 20:42-43; Acts 2:34-35; Hebrews 1:13
His coming glory Malachi 3:2-3 Luke 3:17
Eze.34:23-24…Descendant of David… Mt. 1:1
Dan. 7:13-14a…He would ascend into heaven… Acts 1:9-11
Dan. 7:13-14b…Highly exalted… Eph. 1:20-22
Dan. 7:13-14c…His dominion would be everlasting… Lu. 1:31-33
Dan. 9:24a…To make an end to sins… Gal. 1:3-5
Dan. 9:24b…He would be holy… Lu. 1:35
Dan. 9:25…Announced to his people 483 years, to the exact day, after the decree to rebuild the city of Jerusalem… Jn. 12:12-13
Dan. 9:26a…Killed… Mt. 27:35
Zech. 11:8b…Despised… Mt. 27:20
Zech. 11:9…Stops ministering to the those who rejected Him… Mt. 13:10-11
Zech. 11:10-11a…Rejection causes God to remove protection… Lu. 19:41-44
Zech. 11:10-11b…The Messiah would be God… Jn. 14:7
Zech. 11:12-13a…Betrayed for thirty pieces of silver… Mt. 26:14-15
Zech. 11:12-13b…Rejected… Mt. 26:14-15
Zech. 11:12-13c…Thirty pieces of silver thrown into the house of the Lord… Mt. 27:3-5
Zech. 11:12-13d…The Messiah would be God… Jn. 12:45
Zech. 12:10a…The Messiah’s body would be pierced… Jn. 19:34-37
Zech. 12:10b…The Messiah would be both God and man… Jn. 10:30
Zech. 12:10c…The Messiah would be rejected… Jn. 1:11
Zech. 13:7a…God’s will He die for mankind… Jn. 18:11
Zech. 13:7b…A violent death… Mt. 27:35
Zech. 13:7c…Both God and man.. Jn. 14:9
Zech. 13:7d…Israel scattered as a result of rejecting Him… Mt. 26:31-56
Mal. 3:1a…Messenger to prepare the way for Messiah… Mt. 11:10
Mal. 3:1b…Sudden appearance at the temple… Mk. 11:15-16
Mal. 3:1c…Messenger of the new covenant… Lu. 4:43
Mal. 4:5…Forerunner in the spirit of Elijah… Mt. 3:1-2
Mal. 4:6…Forerunner would turn many to righteousness… Lu. 1:16-17
Hundreds of articles on our home page
| Eternal Life | Hell is Real | The Gospel According to John |
| My Testimony |Why I Read the Authorized KJV Bible|
| The Hymnal | Messianic Prophecies Fulfilled by Jesus Christ |
| Epistle Dedicatory to the Authorized King James of 1611 |

fghfgf

posted January 26, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Welcome to our website: http://www.wellbbiz.com/
The website wholesale for many kinds of fashion shoes, like the nike,jordan,prada,adidas, also including the jeans,shirts,bags,hat and the decorations. All the products are free shipping, and the the price is competitive, and also can accept paypal payment.,after the payment, can ship within short time.
free shipping
competitive price
any size available
We do wholesale and retail! All are extremely CHEAP, please visit: http://www.wellbbiz.com/

girl

posted March 13, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Welcome to our website: http://www.wowhotsale.com
free shipping
competitive price
any size available
We do wholesale and retail! All are extremely CHEAP, please visit: http://www.wowhotsale.com