Beyond Gorgeous

Beyond Gorgeous

New Study Proves This Sweetener is a Brain Danger!

posted by sbrown

Maybe it isn’t creeping age that is playing tricks with your memory.  It could be the desserts and soft drinks that caused you to forget your neighbor’s first name.

You have heard that high fructose corn syrup damages your body and makes you fat.  Now scientists have found that the sweetener, which is in most processed foods, also can slow down your brain.

High fructose corn syrup is an inexpensive sweetener made from corn.  There has been an outcry for a long time from the health-conscious that it is harmful.  Because it is in so many processed foods, you get a lot of it.  If you drink sodas, you get a mega-dose.   It is a factor in obesity, diabetes and fatty liver disease, among other ills. A new study done at UCLA  shows that it also affects how your brain functions.

“Our findings illustrate that what you eat affects how you think,” said Fernando Gomez-Pinilla, a professor of neurosurgery at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and a professor of integrative biology and physiology in the UCLA College of Letters and Science. “Eating a high-fructose diet over the long term alters your brain’s ability to learn and remember information.”

The study on rats involved two groups fed standard rat chow.  One group was fed  high fructose corn syrup along with the chow.  The other group was fed the same thing, but with added Omega-3 fatty acids.  Both groups were trained to do mazes before the high fructose corn syrup was added to their diets.

The rats fed a diet of high fructose corn syrup did increasingly worse remembering what they had learned.  Those with the omega-3 managed the mazes much faster than the fructose-only group.

Gomez-Pinilla recommends that you limit your intake of high fructose corn syrup and instead eat fruit and Greek yoghurt for dessert.  And skip the sodas.

Since the sweetener is in so many processed foods, and because processed foods are so hard to avoid, it’s a good idea to add a high quality Omega-3 supplement to your diet.

This study also provides a good argument for banning candy and soft drink machines from schools.  Why give our kids foods that will dumb them down?

So, if you need another reason to eat healthy, low glycemic foods, and to avoid the junk — do it for your brain.

Eating to live and living for Christ,

Susan Jordan Brown

hobbies for stay at home moms

posted July 27, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Hey there, You’ve done an excellent job. I will definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends.
I am confident they will be benefited from this web site.

hobbies for kids

posted July 27, 2014 at 8:20 am

Having read this I believed it was really informative.
I appreciate you spending some time and energy to put this informative article together.
I once again find myself personally spending a lot of time both
reading and posting comments. But so what, it was still worthwhile!

engine optimization

posted July 24, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Right here is the right website for anybody who would like to find out about this topic.
You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you
(not that I really will need to…HaHa). You certainly put a new spin on a subject that has been discussed
for decades. Excellent stuff, just wonderful!

Ilana

posted July 24, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
You obviously know hat youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when you
could be giving us something informative to read?

posted July 16, 2014 at 7:12 am

I amm in fact happy to read this web site posts which includes lots of valuable facts,
thanks for providing these information.

Savannah

posted July 15, 2014 at 5:23 am

Good day! I could have sworn I’ve visikted this
blog before but after looking at a feew of the
articles I realized it’s new to me. Anyways, I’m certainly happy
I stumbled upon it and I’ll bbe book-marking it and checking back
often!

Randell

posted July 15, 2014 at 4:37 am

Its such as you learn my thoughts! You appear to understand
so much about this, like you wrote the e-book in it or something.

I think that you simply could do with some % to
power the message house a bit, however other than that, that is fantastic blog.

An excellent read. I’ll definitely be back.

how to be seo friendly

posted July 10, 2014 at 3:18 pm

keyword selection is an important aspect of the development of web.
Off-site techniques are more about what others
do on their websites in linking to you, on-site techniques you have
more control over as you determine the content of your web pages.
SEO web developers, as well as to focus on content sites.

recover memory card

posted March 22, 2014 at 6:00 pm

I am sure this post has touched all the internet visitors, its really really
pleasant article on building up new web site.

inspiring native

posted February 7, 2014 at 4:35 pm

I’m not sure why but this weblog is loading incredibly
slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end?

I’ll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.

weight loss undergarments

posted February 5, 2014 at 9:09 am

May I simply just say what a relief to uncover someone that really understands what they are discussing online.
You actually understand how to bring a problem to light and make
it important. More and more people really need
to check this out and understand this side of the story. It’s surprising
you’re not more popular since you surely have the gift.

health jobs az

posted January 28, 2014 at 4:00 am

Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular post!

It is the little changes that produce the greatest changes.
Many thanks for sharing!

Hunger games 2

posted November 11, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Definitely consider that that you stated.
Your favorite reason appeared to be at the web the easiest thing to take
into accout of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while folks consider concerns that they just do not know about.
You managed to hit the nail upon the top as smartly as outlined out the entire thing with no need side-effects ,
people can take a signal. Will probably be back to
get more. Thank you

free twitter tools find followers

posted May 2, 2013 at 12:31 pm

While search engine rankings may be easy to achieve, maintaining those rankings is however not an easy job.
When you trust someone with such a responsibility make sure they are worthy of your trust.

if you think this is a deserving service, one that needs to be promoted and expanded, then please vote for
me.

sbrown

posted May 21, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Sure. Stevia is my sweetener of choice. It’s all natural, has no side-effects, no calories, and a glycemic number of zero. Hard to beat that! It’s also easy to find — available at Wal-Mart and most grocery stores. If plain Stevia is not available, TruVia or PureVia are also options. They are Stevia with some added ingredients to improve the taste. At the health food store you will find a whole aisle of alternative sweeteners. Some of my top picks are coconut sugar, molasses and xylitol. Trehalose is a sugar that is actually good for your brain — but the only place I have seen it is online and it is a bit pricey. Hope this helps!

sbrown

posted May 21, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Thanks for taking time to comment! Glad the info was helpful — and yes, I believe it is reversible.

sbrown

posted May 21, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Check the ingredients. If it has high fructose corn syrup — keep looking! Sugar is bad for you, too, but better than HFCS. In moderation (like one scoop) ice cream is on the yellow, moderate, glycemic list. It’s tricky to keep from overdoing it — which I know to my sorrow! Hope that helps.

sbrown

posted May 21, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Shirley, the study was done with high fructose corn syrup — a cheap sweetener that is in a multitude of processed foods. If you drink sodas, you will get it in massive doses! You might like to check some of my earlier blogs (you can see them listed on the right side of the blog site). I did an extensive study and series on sweeteners — the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks for your comment.

Your Name

posted May 20, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Could you give the name of the sweetners you are referring to?

Shirley Evans

jean kirkland

posted May 18, 2012 at 3:02 pm

What kind of ice cream can I eat?

Rhonda Carlton Torbett

posted May 17, 2012 at 11:48 am

This makes so much sense! My name is Rhonda, and I am a popoholic. In the last several yrs I have noticed increasing difficulty remembering “small” things. Hopefully this is reversible! Thanks for the info!

Recipe Day -- Good-For-You Chocolate Cake
I looked at the recipe in disbelief.  NINE eggs? Surely that was a misprint.  Only 3/4 cup flour in a cake?  Not likely.  As I studied about coconut flour, though, I saw that, yes, it does take that many eggs to make a successful cake with this healthy type of flour, and it takes a much smaller

posted 3:06:20am Mar. 29, 2013 | read full post »

Climbing Into Jesus' Wheelbarrow
Once there was a famous tight-rope walker.  He stood before a huge crowd by Niagara Falls, preparing to do his most daring feat. “How many of you believe that I can walk across Niagara Falls on this tightrope?” he asked the people gathered there. “We believe you can do it!” they shout

posted 3:23:14am Mar. 28, 2013 | read full post »

How Do You Know When to Stop Eating?
“We asked 150 Parisians how they knew they were through with dinner,” food psychologist Brian Wansink, PhD, said.  “They said, ‘When we’re full.’  When we asked 150 Chicagoans that they said, ‘When the plate is empty.’” * No wonder 2/3 of American adults are overweight and hal

posted 3:54:25am Mar. 27, 2013 | read full post »

Making Plans to Succeed
H.A.L.T. -- Don’t get too hungry, too angry, too lonely, or too tired.  But how do you do that?  How do you avoid getting in a dangerously tempting position? It takes planning.  Start planning before you even head to the grocery store.  Look over the Green-for-Go low glycemic lists. Click h

posted 3:41:47am Mar. 26, 2013 | read full post »

No More "If Onlys"
Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.- Carl Bard If only -- If only.  How the “if onlies” plague us! “If I had only kept up that healthy eating and exercise plan I started five years ago I would look terrific now.”

posted 2:36:33am Mar. 25, 2013 | read full post »