Beyond Gorgeous

Beyond Gorgeous

Ready to Start Living?

posted by sbrown

Okay folks, we’ve already been on every diet known to man — or woman. We have done without fat, red meat, sugar, and carbs at various times. We have eaten grapefruit until it was coming out our ears. We have crunched, kicked, danced, and jogged.

But now it’s different. Why? Because, let’s face it, we always starved and tormented ourselves so we could be gorgeous. In a world that says thin = good and fat = bad and unwanted, we did everything we could to reach that impossible standard of beauty. We starved to look like pencils.

Now we are on a different quest. We are mature folks who have fought the good fight. We raised our families and are at, or nearing, retirement from jobs. Now it’s time to think of ourselves. Now is the time we can fulfill our dreams. And we want to feel good enough to actually do that!

Before, we dieted and exercised to look great. Now we are all about FEELING great! So we aren’t going to do painful, obsessive things. We are going to start doing things that aren’t just good for us — they are fun and fulfilling.

Most of us are over 50 (although “junior” members are welcome to join us), so, unless we live to be over 100, we have less than half of our life to go. If we don’t start living our dreams now — when are we going to do it?

How can we live an exciting, fulfilling, vibrant life after 50? There are three keys:

Behind the first door: Have a REASON to live. Who wants to just hang around? We’ll talk about the fulfilling things you can do to make a difference in the world. There are plenty of them so you can take your pick!

Key number two: Get a move on! It’s now or never. Use it or lose it. You don’t have to do those stupid stomach crunches if you don’t want to. (I don’t know about you — but I”M not wearing a bikini this summer anyway.) But you do have to do SOMETHING. We’ll talk about lots of “somethings” you can do to get moving and start feeling terrific. You are unique. We’ll work together to help you find what type of exercise fits YOU and makes you happy.

And number three: Give your body what it needs so it will work with you — not against you. I’ll be introducing you to your auto-pilot soon. That’s the part of your brain that keeps you going. Find out how to give the correct signals to your autopilot so you can get rid of those pounds that slow you down and make you feel blah and depressed. You’ll be surprised!

I am ready for the best part of my journey. This is your invitation to join me on the trip!

sbrown

posted November 21, 2011 at 7:08 am

Very true! Thanks for commenting.

Etta Ruthenberg

posted November 14, 2011 at 11:43 am

I am almost seventy two. Lots of living, good and bad is behind me but the best is yet to come. Next stop: Heaven…and that’s not bad! I hope to do as much good as I can while I am here. I still have kids that need me. I am a good listener. lol But I have many loved ones that have gone on ahead of me. Remember the bible says it makes more sense to cry when someone is born and rejoice when someone dies! That’s what it is all about.

sbrown

posted August 19, 2011 at 9:16 am

Hi Pam,
Welcome aboard! I’m sorry to be so slow saying that — I just found my comment section on my blog dashboard. Tech savvy I’m not! I’m ahead of you at 57 — and I agree that now is a perfect time to get started. My fifties have been my best decade so far! Follow along and keep me posted about your progress. Also, let me know if you have questions or if there are topics you would like me to cover. That’s why I’m here.

sbrown

posted August 19, 2011 at 9:13 am

Hi Deej,
Good advice. i agree that exercise is key, but for someone who is not active and is carrying a lot of extra weight, it may be a tad intimidating. That’s why I recommend the step plan, because it is an excellent, doable starting place. I also agree about interval training and will blog about that one of these days. I love lifting weights and work out regularly. I’m Toni’s age and went from inactive to preparing to run my first 5K. Where did I start? The step program! Thanks for posting!

sbrown

posted August 19, 2011 at 9:03 am

Hi Toni,
Just found out how to get to my comments. Sorry to be so poky in answering! You are in the right place, because our focus is on doing the things that will get you to that place of health and feeling great. It’s not going to happen overnight, but if you are going down the right path — and keep going — you will get there. Check out my earlier posts about the eating plan and the step program. You can find the Green Light/Red Light eating plan on the right of the blog. These are things that are not drastic and painful, but things that you can do from now on. And don’t look at the distance you have to go. Set small goals and celebrate every victory along the way. Deej’s advice about exercise is good, but you may want to start a step program first. Jumping into a big, vigorous plan when you are not used to exercising can hurt you and sideline you. Better to start with where you are and work up to more. Keep visiting my blog. I’ll be posting info and encouragement for you every day — except Saturday. Keep me posted on your progress!

Deej

posted August 14, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Hi, Toni! If you want to lose weight, you need to eat healthy and wholesome foods; you do not need to starve yourself–EAT! And when you exercise (and you must exercise, come hell or high water!),choose the exercise activity of your choice and then do interval training–go fast for 30 seconds and slow down for 1 minute (or some variation of 1:2 time intervals). Lift weights — as heavy as you can SAFELY life without injury to yourself. Also, get at least 7-8 hours of sleep. If you don’t have any health issues preventing you from losing weight, then you’ll lose the weight if you try this method I’m writing here. I’m living proof that this simple, but effective plan works–it is doable and long lasting!

toni

posted August 14, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I am 57 and over the last five years have gained a 150 pounds due to medicines, stress and just plain old boredom. I have tried every diet you can think of and probally some you can’t. So my question is what can I do to beat this battle without starving myself. I want to be healthy again and feel great in my clothes.

Pam

posted August 14, 2011 at 10:21 am

I am excited! I will turning 51 tomorrow! I am so ready for this journey you are talking about! Let’s get started!!

Beth Wilson

posted May 24, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Good post! I look forward to reading more!

Recipe Day -- Good-For-You Chocolate Cake
I looked at the recipe in disbelief.  NINE eggs? Surely that was a misprint.  Only 3/4 cup flour in a cake?  Not likely.  As I studied about coconut flour, though, I saw that, yes, it does take that many eggs to make a successful cake with this healthy type of flour, and it takes a much smaller

posted 3:06:20am Mar. 29, 2013 | read full post »

Climbing Into Jesus' Wheelbarrow
Once there was a famous tight-rope walker.  He stood before a huge crowd by Niagara Falls, preparing to do his most daring feat. “How many of you believe that I can walk across Niagara Falls on this tightrope?” he asked the people gathered there. “We believe you can do it!” they shout

posted 3:23:14am Mar. 28, 2013 | read full post »

How Do You Know When to Stop Eating?
“We asked 150 Parisians how they knew they were through with dinner,” food psychologist Brian Wansink, PhD, said.  “They said, ‘When we’re full.’  When we asked 150 Chicagoans that they said, ‘When the plate is empty.’” * No wonder 2/3 of American adults are overweight and hal

posted 3:54:25am Mar. 27, 2013 | read full post »

Making Plans to Succeed
H.A.L.T. -- Don’t get too hungry, too angry, too lonely, or too tired.  But how do you do that?  How do you avoid getting in a dangerously tempting position? It takes planning.  Start planning before you even head to the grocery store.  Look over the Green-for-Go low glycemic lists. Click h

posted 3:41:47am Mar. 26, 2013 | read full post »

No More "If Onlys"
Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.- Carl Bard If only -- If only.  How the “if onlies” plague us! “If I had only kept up that healthy eating and exercise plan I started five years ago I would look terrific now.”

posted 2:36:33am Mar. 25, 2013 | read full post »