Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue

The Memorare

posted by Beyond Blue

I have prayed the Memorare every day since my mom (and others) told me to go to Mary with my depression. It’s clear from the words of this prayer that Mary hears all pleas, but especially those uttered in desperation. I thought I would post it today since it is the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, but also since, during this time of year, I feel a special connection to Mary:

“Remember O Most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence, I fly to you, O Virgin of virgins, my mother. To you I come; before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in your mercy, hear and answer me. Amen.”

Mary Kay

posted December 8, 2011 at 7:58 am

Thank You for the PrayerTheresa! God Bless You! I hope your holidays bring you peace and fill you happiness! I am going to say this prayer too. I need it! I won’t be with my family this year, and it leaves an ache in my heart… God Bless you and your family and God Bless my family, and God Bless everyone!

Sarah Callender

posted December 8, 2011 at 9:07 am

Love this, Therese. And if anyone knew about fear and uncertainty and confusion and anxiety (all things that those of us with depression feel) it is Mary. What a brave and faithful trooper she was!

Love to you and your family, and may 2012 bring you joy and peace. xo!

Adri

posted December 8, 2011 at 10:41 am

Thank you for this beautiful prayer. I looked it up in spanish.

Kate

posted December 8, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Thanks for posting this wonderful prayer, my own mother always encouraged me to say this.

Have a blessed Christmas to you and all your readers.

Mary Anne Thompson

posted December 9, 2011 at 3:23 am

As a “Christian” I was always taught to pray only to God not to Mary or anyone else. I know it is a Catholic thing but it is not necessary to have a middle man or woman. GREAT SPIRIT is the one we should pray to, trust and believe in. I’m sorry but the immaculate conception does not ring true with me. Jesus & Mary were married and had other children besides Jesus. I really wish people would do their own research and not go on blind faith. Not only that but Jesus was NOT born on Dec 25th. That is a known fact, it is just the date that was chosen to celebrate his birth….not the only religion that celebrates their God on that date. I am sorry but my Mother’s name is Mary. My name is Mary Anne and it is just offensive to me to think of anyone praying to her….why not go to the top? Isn’t that what he came and died for? What is preached….taught. Blessed Yuletide

veronica

posted December 9, 2011 at 7:46 am

I pray this prayer whenever I need to have the Blessed Mother help me feel calm and peaceful in the chaos of life and hope that She will help me remember the Lord will have mercy. I thank you for posting today. The Blessed Mother knows what it is to be a mother in sorrow and have worry and be weary about the children and grandchildren when they need to be strong and we need to have courage. God Bless.

Paul

posted December 9, 2011 at 7:58 am

To prior poster, you should note that catholics pray for intercession with the Trinity, as you will note that word in the Memorare. You are correct that only the Lord God answers prayers, but the Host hears them and can interceed. Unless you don’t believe in the Ascension or the Host.

And, of course you’re misspeaking when you say Jesus was married, you mean Joseph and Mary. Elsewise, we don’t pick and choose what parts of the bible to believe…

Mini V.

posted December 9, 2011 at 9:15 am

What a great prayer. Ofcourse Mary, the Mother of God went through all tribulations by submitting herself in the hands of God. She is my favorite intercessor also and I believe in her power before her son Jesus. God Bless you and your family.

liti

posted December 9, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Feeling those holiday blues kindof bad,Prayer does help.God Bless,Liti

Terri

posted December 9, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I am desperately reaching out for prayer as I go through horrible depression that gives actual physical pain, and every time I sleep even for twenty minutes, I awake in a panic attack with horrible thoughts and tears and pain and my heart pounding in terror. Please will somebody pray for me? I do not want to lose the small faith that I have been able to hang onto,it is all that keeps me from killing myself. I am in withdrawal from Klonopin and it is horrible.

Skylark

posted December 9, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Thanks Theresa for reminding us of one of the most powerful intercessory prayers we have in the “arsenal”! Another one I like to say during this season is the Novena prayer of St Andrew. It goes like this (for those who have not seen it):
HAIL AND BLESSED BE THE HOUR AND MOMENT IN WHICH THE SON OF GOD WAS BORN OF THE MOST PURE VIRGIN MARY, AT MIDNIGHT, IN BETHLEHEM, IN THE PIERCING COLD. IN THAT HOUR, VOUCHSAFE, O MY GOD! TO HEAR MY PRAYER AND GRANT MY DESIRES, THROUGH THE MERITS OF OUR SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST AND OF HIS BLESSED MOTHER. AMEN!

Skylark

posted December 9, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I meant to add that you can say either of these intercessory prayers at any and every hour of the day as we are always in the Presence of God! We must just call Him to mind and He is there for us. MaryAnn…you have friends, no doubt, who will do favors for you when you ask? That is all intercessory prayer is…the saints, including Mary, are in Heaven and very close to God. If we ask them they will carry our prayers to the foot of His Throne and ask His special grace and attention…much as you would do if a friend asked you to put a good word in for you, for example, with someone you would like to work for…it is that simple and yet that profound. It is not necessary to be Catholic to pray that way! Mary is the Mother of all who come to her in the Name of her Son, Jesus. Of course one can always pray directly to God Himself, but does it hurt to have others interceding on our behalf also? Those especially who are so close to God? Peace on Earth to men of good will.

Terrie

posted December 9, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Mary Anne, I have many non-Catholic friends who are unclear as to why we “pray” to Saints rather than directly to Christ Our Lord. The answer is simple: we don’t! As the gentleman above wrote, it is called “Intercessory Prayer,” and it’s all about asking others to help by praying along with and for you…not unlike the Prayer Circles or Prayer Warriors that I have experienced in other Protestant religions. If you have ever been ill or depressed or otherwise unable to pray for yourself, you KNOW what it’s like to have others pray for you…you can feel it, sometimes almost physically! So really, that’s all it is ~ believing that a Prayer Circle can include souls both here on earth as well as those that have passed on. You, my dear deceased dad, Mary Our Mother, we are all here to help each other find our way to Jesus Christ through prayer! Today my prayers will be with you and your needs…may you feel God’s peace and find rest. With Love, Terrie xoxo

Laurie

posted December 9, 2011 at 5:14 pm

The Memorare has always been a very special prayer for me.
Once while visiting a parishioner in hospice, he shared with me that he always changed “despise not my petitions” to “deny not my petitions”. It made great sense to me, too.

Kim

posted December 9, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Thank you for the reminder of this beautiful prayer.
To further clarify, and many Catholics don’t even understand this…the Immaculate Conception does not refer to Jesus’ conception. It is a theology about Mary being free from original sin at the time of HER conception, her time in St. Anne’s womb, as opposed to after baptism as Catholics believe. In other words, it is the idea that God redeemed her from sin at the time of her conception as part of the bigger plan that she was going to bear Jesus Christ. Believe that or not, it doesn’t change the great example Mary is for us and the beauty of intercessory prayer as explained above.

Marie

posted December 9, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Thank you, Theresa, for this beautiful prayer and also this blog. My granddaughter is bipolar and a lot of what you talk about hits home. God bless you for taking the time to share and make others feel better.
I wish you and your family a peaceful and blessed Christmas.

Kate

posted December 9, 2011 at 11:27 pm

This message goes out to Terri, I was touched by your sad note, please know that you will be in my prayers at Mass this weekend.

Sue

posted December 9, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Thank you, Therese… I love the Memorare, and I love going to Mary for comfort and asking her to pray for me through this prayer. I’m not Catholic but I get that we’re not worshipping Mary and the saints by asking them to pray for us any more than I am worshipped by my friends who ask me to pray for their concerns…but those in heaven have 24/7 time to pray whereas those of us on earth don’t, Paul’s ideal of praying without ceasing being an ideal, not really what happens.

Pat Bailey

posted December 10, 2011 at 9:51 am

Terrie, I will also lift you up in prayer as I attend Mass this week-end. God bless and protect you.

Cheri

posted December 10, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Beautiful! This prayer is truly amazing. Our Blessed Mother listens. God Bless You

Terri

posted December 13, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Thank you Kate for your prayers! i am 51 and have battled depression my whole life. This is the worst I have ever gone through! I believe it is the prayers of others and of the saints that have kept me alive and will keep me alive if I can just hold on to the hem of Jesus’ robe. It is so hard! Bless you!!!