Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue

15 Quotes that Motivate and Inspire

posted by Beyond Blue

15 Quotes that Motivate and InspireI recently joined “The Psychology Network” on LinkedIn and have been enjoying the discussion among mental health professionals (since I’m not really one, but pretend to be all the time).

Especially intriguing was the discussion thread called “What are some of your favorite quotes that have motivated and inspired you?” They are quotes that they share with patients or with each other, or that they just think are cool and sound good. Here are just 15 from the 70 or so responses:

“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” –Hilary Cooper

“If you can keep your wits about you while others are losing theirs and blaming you, the world will be yours.” –Rudyard Kipling

“Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.” –Attributed to Confucius

More quotes follow…

If there is one lesson that I have learned during my life as an analyst, it is the lesson that what my patients tell me is likely to be true – that many times when I believed that I was right and my patients were wrong, it turned out, though often only after a prolonged search, that my rightness was superficial, whereas their rightness was profound. –Heinz Kohut

“Quitting smoking is easy. I’ve done it a 100 times.” ?–Mark Twain

“You cannot solve a problem from the same consciousness that created it. You must learn to see the world anew.” –Albert Einstein

“People that judge don’t matter. People that matter don’t judge.” –Author Unknown

“The only time a man should be looking down at another man is if the other man is on the ground and the man looking down at him and extending his hand to him so that he can help him up.” –Author Unknown

“Creativity exists in the spaces between ideas”. –David Wescott

“Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.” –Carrie Fisher

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming — WOW — What a ride!” – Anonymous

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. –Marianne Williamson

“I have not failed 10,000 times. I found 10,000 ways that won’t work”–Thomas Edison.

“The beauty of balance is that I can do it all and not feel bad about my choices, because every moment is an opportunity to start all over again” –Jorge Perez

“Life is a kaleidoscope. Turn your head a different angle and see it a whole new way.”?–Anonymous

kp

posted September 6, 2011 at 10:22 am

Marianne Williamson WAS NOT the original author of that quote – she quite possibly plagiarized it in one of her books but you need to do better research and give credit where credit is due.

Anne

posted September 6, 2011 at 10:32 am

“Between what happens to us and our response is a space. In that space lies the freedom and power to choose our response and in those choices lie our growth and our happiness.” – Stephen Covey

“The greatest oak was once just a tiny acorn that held it’s ground” – ?

“We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails” – ?

Thanks for the quotes! I keep a list of my favorites and post them – supposedly for my clients but really also for me! Helps to start the day with my mind on the right path!

Sam Gyura

posted September 6, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Well kp don’t keep us all in suspense. Who was the the original author?

Pamela

posted September 7, 2011 at 12:34 am

These are really helpful quotes and I treasure your website so much. Thanks you!

Sam Gyura

posted September 7, 2011 at 2:13 am

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Leo Buscaglia

tutelstar

posted September 7, 2011 at 5:10 am

Haha, I love this: “Quitting smoking is easy. I’ve done it a 100 times.” ?–Mark Twain

Mike Leach

posted September 7, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Awesome quotes. Thanks, Therese.

veronica

posted September 7, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I like the 10,000 mistakes, that would be a low estimate for me I think….but true, try and try and try….Thank you for your thoughts and time and caring. God Bless.

catherine

posted September 8, 2011 at 12:18 pm

wonderful quotes of wisdom; here is one more:

“Have a Blessed Day…it leads to a Blessed Life” Catherine Miller

stopsuicidegotonlyonelifetolive

posted September 8, 2011 at 10:08 pm

like this comments=Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming — WOW — What a ride!” – Anonymous

Read more: http://blog.beliefnet.com/beyondblue/2011/09/15-quotes-that-motivate-and-inspire.html#ixzz1XPupHR00

eterio

posted September 8, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Word called LIVE

Karl, Stepping Into Wonder

posted September 8, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Thank you Therese for sharing your wisdom on this blog. It has been very moving to read a number of your posts.

Here are two additional quotes I like that inspire me:

“You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.” – Mary Oliver

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” – Howard Thurman

Gorobei

posted September 10, 2011 at 9:52 am

For “kp” and “Sam Gyura” who posted previously, apparently this passage has been mis-attributed to Nelson Mandala, supposedly being said in one of his inaugural addresses. I’m not a fan of Marianne Williamson, but it appears that she does lay claim to this quote and states that she realizes many people think Nelson Mandala said it first, though she wrote it in one of her books.

KAREN

posted September 11, 2011 at 12:31 am

GROWING OLD IS NOT SO BAD WHEN YOU CONSIDER THE ALTERNATIVE- MARK TWAIN

Anita Lewis

posted September 12, 2011 at 5:49 pm

My Grandmother always said, stay cool, drink a half glass of red wine every night and remember, the first 50 years are the hardest.

Chaplain Donald Perry

posted September 13, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Chief economist< Mike walden of NC state university once said, 'what you have in your head is more important than the amount of muscle in your back and arms'

waldo

posted September 16, 2011 at 1:35 pm

that quote about quitting smoking is most likely a re-working of the W.C.Fields’ line about quitting drinking.

Daniel g shore

posted September 18, 2011 at 2:03 pm

To fail to plan is plan to fail.

Vene Privette

posted September 23, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I love when I found positive people that read good books and apply it, but if we want to read the book # 1 lets read the Bible and appy it so we can have a better lifes.

Edrea Jeffs

posted September 23, 2011 at 5:12 pm

“You cannot solve a problem from the same consciousness that created it. You must learn to see the world anew. Albert Einstein
This is the truth of being. In order to change, one must transform his thought! Nothing else!

Rachel

posted September 23, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Great quotes, but Kipling is misquoted. The line is from one of my favorite poems, “If,” and the original can be found here: http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/if/

Mzoe

posted September 27, 2011 at 12:03 am

There is no one capable of solving a problem besides the one who started it and that comes by stopping yourself from being the cause of it but solution from it

Asibong

posted September 27, 2011 at 2:26 pm

life is made up of,Moments, phases, and changes,someday, you’d be faced with a phase of life,filled with so much tuberlence,xo stressful,it might want to your breath.buh nothing ever last,not even joy,evrything works with moment. Build faith and keep fighting,for someday,for the sake of Change,it’ll all be,’a moment ago’,it’ll only occupy the memory and not reality.

jason

posted September 29, 2011 at 12:55 am

Carey Lee Downs Jr.

posted September 30, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Some Can,Some Can’t, Some Wil, Some won’t!

Carey Lee Downs Jr.

posted September 30, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Some Can, Some Can’t, Some Will, Some Won’t!

Henry

posted October 1, 2011 at 8:26 am

“Only 2 things are infinite: The Universe and Human Stupidity, and I’m not so sure about the Universe.” -Albert Einstein.

rick

posted October 2, 2011 at 9:35 pm

“a wise man’s words can not change your life, but their influence can”-my brother

“Love is like fire, it’s the most beautiful thing in the world, but once you get close to it,it will always leave burns”-my father

“It doesn’t take a genius to come up with life changing statements,it takes a person with experience “-Me

David

posted October 3, 2011 at 4:40 pm

You got one of those quotes wrong; it goes:

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man how to fish, and he will sit in a boat drinking beer all day.

—-

Some more:

The problem with my job is that it provides no relief from the stress of the weekends.

When I talk to God, it’s called prayer; when God talks to me, it’s called schizophrenia.

Gwen Stites

posted October 6, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Kind words bring kind echoes…Josephine Pingleton

Andrew Cort

posted October 7, 2011 at 3:14 pm

“By shutting the door on transcendence, we have cut off any light from that world that might have illuminated this one, leaving us in darkness, leaving us with nothing but a dead world where scientists are merely performing an autopsy.”

Gabriel

posted October 9, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Really inspirational,I love this site

jj

posted October 10, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Abraham Lincoln once said:

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.
My note: also insert “women” and “woman’s” in those same gender places.

David Riley

posted October 12, 2011 at 2:16 am

My dad used to say this: “An angry man can neither judge nor be judged”. My dad was James Riley. How accurate is this as a quote?

steve v

posted October 12, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.
Terry Pratchett

Terhemba Gbashima

posted October 18, 2011 at 11:55 am

Lovely wise sayings. I am more enlightened now. Thanks for a wonderfuly job.

brazilian blowout

posted October 22, 2011 at 8:16 am

Lovely wise sayings. I am more enlightened now. Thanks for a wonderfuly job.

Carolyn J. Greer

posted October 22, 2011 at 10:35 am

Fantastic! Awe-inspiring quotes to remember and live by!!!

Mark

posted October 24, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Be patient,or you’ll be one.Mark Russian

catherine

posted October 25, 2011 at 11:54 pm

wow..is awesome!!!i really like it!!!

lily

posted October 27, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I love quotes. I would love a very special quote to put on my husbands tombstone. He was a wonderful man, a man who loved literture, all poetry, oscar wilde been a favourite, oscar allen poe.

I would love something special to always remember him by.

Can you help me please

lily

anamika bajpai

posted November 6, 2011 at 3:15 am

These are the magical words!!!!!!!

linda

posted December 2, 2011 at 9:23 pm

A Quote:

It is easy to do right thing,
knowing what the right thing is,
is hard .