Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue

Quotes on Perseverance

posted by Beyond Blue

I needs LOTS of coaching on perseverance because this essential virtue depends on another one called patience, which God ran out of the day He made me. Here are some beautiful quotes on perseverance:
“Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done.” –Louis D. Brandeis, Supreme Court Justice
“Don’t feel entitled to anything you didn’t sweat and struggle for.” –Marian Wright Edelman, founder of the Children’s Defense Fund
“Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”–T.S. Eliot Poet
“The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart.” –Robert G. Ingersoll, Poet
“We can do anything we want if we stick to it long enough.”–Helen Keller
To read more Beyond Blue, go to www.beliefnet.com/beyondblue, and to get to Group Beyond Blue, a support group at Beliefnet Community, click here.

“The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.”–Abraham Lincoln
“The world is in a constant conspiracy against the brave. It’s the age-old struggle–the roar of the crowd on one side and the voice of your conscience on the other.”–Douglas MacArthur, American general
“True courage is like a kite; a contrary wind raises it higher.”–John Petit-Senn, French Poet
“It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. In this life we get nothing save by effort.”–Theodore Roosevelt
“The Difficult is that which can be done immediately; the Impossible that which takes a little longer.”–George Santayana, American philosopher and poet
“Fall seven times, stand up eight.”–Japanese Proverb???
“The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground.”–Author Unknown
“Saints are sinners who kept on going.”–Robert Louis Stevenson
“If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.”–Buddhist Saying
“When your dreams turn to dust, vacuum.”–Author Unknown
“Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.”–Jacob A. Riis

Wisdum

posted November 19, 2007 at 11:23 am

Re- “The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground.”–Author Unknown
** Uhhhhh … I remember that as “Remember that the mighty oak, was once a nut like you!”
My favorites, and now giude my Life completely
“What’s wrorng with this picture?”
and
“Folow the money trail!”
You will be amazed how quickly a picture comes into focus!
LUV 2 ALL
Wisdum

Margaret Balyeat

posted November 20, 2007 at 6:07 am

These were GREAT,Therese, and EXACTLY ehat I needed today; U’ve printed them out to post on my refrigerator. how anyone can look at what helen keller overcame and not be inspired is beyond me!
Not so great in terms of perserverance, another of my favorite Roosevelt quotes was Elanor’s: Noone can hurt your feelings without your cooperation. how true, but how DIFFICULT to learn!

Lynn

posted November 20, 2007 at 12:54 pm

Remember the Turtle. This is what I say to myself so that I keep going. Stress and rushing are my mortal enemies.” SLOW BUT SURE WINS THE RACE”. :)

Wisdum

posted November 21, 2007 at 8:13 am

Just got this quote from A. Frenda Meine, yesterday
I HAVE NOBODY TO BLAME FOR MY LIFE, BUT MYSELF !
LUV 2 ALL
Wiadum

Larry Parker

posted November 21, 2007 at 11:17 am

Lincoln’s quote sounds like the last lines of “The Impossible Dream” from Man of La Mancha — and really the whole song:
“And the world will be better for this
That one man, scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage
To reach the unreachable star”
Didn’t like the quote about vacuuming, though. Sounds very existentialist/atheist, “Life sucks and then you die” (pun semi-intentional) to me.

Michael Dyer

posted November 24, 2007 at 5:33 am

“it was by perseverance that the snail reached the ark.”
Don’t know who originated it,
but heard it from Chuck Swindoll

Nancy

posted November 30, 2007 at 10:11 pm

I LOVED the one about “when your dreams turn to dust, vacuum.”
Doesn’t sound existentialist/atheist to me….I laughed so hard and then included it in my list of quotes I put on the bottom of my e-mails once a week (changes weekly).
Already got my first response back from my cousin who happens to work for the Catholic church and she said she was forwarding it to all her Catholic friends just because it was so funny.
Glad God gave me a sense of humor on those days that I just don’t feel like having one.
Nan

Larry Parker

posted December 1, 2007 at 1:44 pm

On a rare occasion, Nancy, we’ll have to agree to disagree :-)

Larry Parker

posted September 24, 2008 at 4:10 pm

One more I like about group perseverance:
“We must hang together, or we surely will hang separately” — Benjamin Franklin during the American Revolution.
(And yes, I am well aware of the sad, even macabre double meaning for those of us with depression; but it makes me appreciate the quote even more.)

blanche

posted September 25, 2008 at 12:15 pm

Hi Therese.
These quotes were just what I needed.
If I ever presvere, it has to be now.
You see, my Dad passed away yesterday, the day of your post.
I think God is taking care of me, and a quote I heard from a relative was “God doesn’t promise you immunity during difficult times, but He does promise you peace during difficult times”.
I’m glad he’s not suffering and in pain anymore, and, therefore, I am at peace.
God Bless, blanche