In the “America Fitness” article I quoted yesterday, I found a list of humor strategies by Joyce Saltman, a Gestalt therapist from Southern Connecticut State University, who believes laughter is a prescription for survival. Here are some of her recommendations on how to find laughter everyday.
1. Have a place devoted to humor. Designate a section at work as a place for a new joke of the day, everyday.
2. Surround yourself with positive people. Avoid people who are constantly negative. They can diminish positive energy.
3. Buy clothes that make you smile.Wear the brightest clothes you can find to brighten your day and others around you.
4. Have a VCR readily available. Make tapes of the funniest TV shows you can find. When you or a friend need a pick-me-up, play them.
5. Make a list of 20 things to do in a day that make you happy. Every couple of months, update this list and make an effort to do at least 10 of these items each day.