Belief Beat

Belief Beat

President Obama Has NOT Canceled National Day of Prayer

posted by Nicole Neroulias

For some reason this morning, there’s a big rumor going around that President Obama has canceled National Day of Prayer 2010, scheduled for May 6. It’s not true, despite what your search engine and e-mails tell you.

The rumormongers seem to have seized on last year’s L.A. Times blog post about Obama opting not to have a special White House service for the occasion. (This was 2009, not 2010.) National Day of Prayer is now in its 59th year, but the White House service was a President George W. Bush tradition.

In related news, Obama is also not a Muslim.

If anything changes, I’ll let you know, based on what I hear from the White House and trusted news sources.

*Click here to subscribe to Belief Beat and click here to follow Belief Beat on Twitter.

Anderson

posted April 15, 2010 at 12:07 pm

This rumor went around last year too.
Every sitting president has to deal with rumors, myths, and false accusations, but the nonsense that has circulated about Obama has been unprecedented. He has only been in office for 15 months, but Snopes has debunked (by my count) 58 demonstrably false rumors and myths about the current president, compared to 8 that were true. Most of these false rumors and myths are pretty nasty, and many continue to circulate via message boards and chain e-mails among people who believe them to be true.

Jill

posted April 15, 2010 at 12:25 pm

maybe he wouldn’t have to deal with so many “rumors” if he would be a little more forthcoming with info on himself….college records, passports, who paid his tuition, birth certificate, adoptions records, SAT scores, etc etc….
Of course he’s not a Muslim….sheesh….Commies tend to be atheists….

Craig

posted April 15, 2010 at 12:48 pm

“I have recently discovered that Snopes.com is owned by a flaming liberal and this man is in the tank for Obama.”

Jeffrey Weeks

posted April 15, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Thanks so much for this. I posted an article on the truth this morning and am already getting hammered for it.

Jay

posted April 15, 2010 at 1:36 pm

@Jill – right, because what we really want the President to be doing is responding to the unfounded accusations of lunatics fueled by irresponsible and dishonest media sources.

Your Name

posted April 15, 2010 at 1:42 pm

It is not illegal in America to falsify the news. So why on earth do these rampant lies (disguised oh so primly here as “rumors”) get any credence here?
Oh right, I remember – it emanates from the lunatic fringe, so that makes it okay.

e adams

posted April 15, 2010 at 2:34 pm

You need to check his interview w Geo Stephonopolous (sp) and many others where bho tells of his muslim religion.

tony

posted April 15, 2010 at 2:51 pm

“based on what I hear from the White House and trusted news sources.” That is a farce…. you REALLY believe what the White House says Nicole? In related news… HE IS A MUSLIM!

Jill

posted April 15, 2010 at 3:21 pm

@Jay…..I disagree, I would rather him do that than actually “working”….heaven help us if he gets any more done

Watson

posted April 15, 2010 at 3:40 pm

“As he did last year, President Obama intends to recognize a National Day of Prayer”

K.

posted April 15, 2010 at 5:17 pm

What a snarky post.

robert

posted April 15, 2010 at 5:38 pm

@Jill
who paid Bush’s tuition, who paid Regan’s? Obama has a perfectly legal birth certificate, oh still not good enough, then I guess Mccain is not American, you see he wasnt born in one of our 50 states. Have you personally seen Bush Sr’s birth certificate? I guess he isnt legal either. Oh but you just except the fact that he is.
And you calling the Commander in Chief of our great country a communist is a disrepectful slanderous remark that has absolutley no basis. Go somewhere else with your hate please. Complain about his policies all you want but when you can only resort to ridiculous conspiracy theories that shows how weak your argument really is.

Pissed Off Middle Age White American

posted April 15, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Obama has not canceled day of prayer….and he is not a communist but a socialist….and if he does have a legal birth certificate then why did he have to take so long to produce it? I mean most Americans have a copy of it in their home. Robert, did you stand up for Bush like this whenever someone was slandering him? Just curious if you are true to what you say about respecting our “Commander in Chief” or if you are a fair-weather fan like most people today.

Nicole Neroulias

posted April 15, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I’ve just posted an update (see link above) — President Obama has still NOT canceled National Day of Prayer. However, a district court judge ruled today that the 1988 law regarding the observance, calling for it to be marked on the first Thursday of May each year, is unconstitutional. But, National Day of Prayer is still happening.
Read the new post for more information, and check back for more updates.

Your Name

posted April 15, 2010 at 6:08 pm

@middle age
I actually was serving in the military under Bush and deployed for operation enduring freedom, also ordered by Bush. So yes, I most certainly did respect our commander in chief at that time and I also followed his orders. I however did not personnaly support his policies and in my own time, often spoke out against them. I never once slandered Bush or supported ridiculous left wing conspiracies like he was responsible for 9/11 or that he was still addicted to cocaine. I find these current conspiracy theories to be alot like those thrown at Bush, meaningless and without basis or merit. Except I never got emails or saw any news organization supporting these whacko theories when Bush was in office as I see today. Again, Im all for slamming Obama for policies, as I do on those I disagree with. But to call a sitting American president a communist, socialist and someone who wants to destroy America is not only a weak argument but reminds me of a bunch of 1st graders on a playground yelling snide insults at each other. People should use an educated argument that they can back with facts and reality.

Robert C

posted April 16, 2010 at 1:50 am

@robert
Just fyi, John McCain was born on a military base in Panama. That base was at that time sovereign American soil. Therefore, McCain is an American citizen. Obama’s birth conspiracy, imagined or real, has no comparison. Period.

Brett A.

posted April 16, 2010 at 10:22 am

I just want to know why it is so bad that the American people see his birth certificate? There is no damaging evidence on the certificate itself so there is no safety concerns for identity theft or anything like that. There are precedents to being the leader of our nation and they are clearly listed out in the Constitution. If we aren’t going to verify all of them, why have them in the first place? Don’t give me a response as to “the proper authorities verified it, and that’s all that matters”. The PEOPLE are the authority, WE should have final say. If there’s questions or doubts, we deserve answers. No, I have not seen Bush’s birth certificate, but I didn’t see the certificates of Clinton, Bush Sr., Reagan, Kennedy, or Johnson for that matter either. If there’s doubts, they should have to prove it too. There wasn’t, so they didn’t. The federal government can’t tell me what to buy, and is not given that power in the Constitution, so this healthcare bill is a joke also. His idea on space exploration is idiotic and putting thousands of people out of work. He is spending government money at unparalled rates, 220 billion in February alone (that’s a government record I might add). All this bad, I don’t see the good. I don’t see a positive change for America coming out of this administration and I don’t expect to see one.

Nicole Neroulias

posted April 16, 2010 at 11:57 am

President Obama’s birth certificate is public record, and was posted online several years ago. Here’s one link:
(Incidentally, anyone who thinks this looks fake should check out the birth certificates — not to mention the driver’s licenses — issued by Washington state!)
Having settled that, please keep your comments related to the topic at hand: National Day of Prayer will continue as scheduled, despite rumors to the contrary.

Brian

posted April 19, 2010 at 4:15 pm

What’s all this concern about his birth certificate? How many needles in a haystack do morons need to search for. People have been looking for a smoking gun since before he was elected.
He hasn’t canceled the national day of prayer… but people still think he has… the same people who would no doubt follow “theonion.com” as a news source.
I have to wonder if people are always this crazy, or if it’s just because he’s black and his name rymes with “osama.” i mean is it really that simple? He’s black and his name sounds like Osama, people feel threatened?
Politics aside, these false rumors and demands to see birth records are obsurd. Do you think a guy could get past all the red tape to serve in government if he wasn’t legal, or wasn’t born in the country?
if he was white, and his name Frank Simpson… sure there’d be rumors, just probably about 10% of what’s out there.

Pat

posted August 17, 2010 at 8:49 pm

And because you make a very vanilla comment based on your beliefs, with no links, we’re supposed to take your word on it why? This is a website that someone can google and find. I can type anything I want, say anything I want and put it on the internet. That doesn’t make it true. Provide actual proof.

Pingback: Happy National Day of Prayer (Still Not Canceled!) - Belief Beat

jstack6

posted January 6, 2012 at 9:53 am

seems to be rumors started by people who hate and don’t like our president.

More Blogs To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Belief Beat. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy:   Beliefnet News   Good News Happy Reading!

posted 4:57:28pm Feb. 14, 2012 | read full post »

Fun Friday: Atheist Temple Planned for UK's Nonbelievers
Author Alain de Botton has announced plans to build an Atheist temple in the United Kingdom, presumably so nonbelievers have a place to gather and share their philosophies. Um... isn't that what Starbucks is for? Also, I can't wait to see how the architect will handle this kind of project. May

posted 2:53:42pm Jan. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Alaska Airlines: High Payers No Longer Offered Sky Prayers
Alaska Airlines, now the country's seventh-largest airline, has announced it will stop offering prayer cards with its in-flight meals. (It's just raining religion news in the great unchurched Pacific Northwest lately.) I've flown Alaska several times since moving to Seattle, but I confess that I'

posted 11:07:56am Jan. 26, 2012 | read full post »

Washington's Gay Marriage Debate: Clergy vs. Clergy
I reported for Reuters at the Washington state Capitol yesterday, covering the public hearings on a gay marriage bill -- and in between, the breaking news that the state Senate now has enough votes to pass the bill. (The House already had enough votes.) It now appears that Washington's lawmakers wi

posted 11:24:39am Jan. 24, 2012 | read full post »

What Israel's Domestic Policy & Santorum Supporters Have in Common
Hope everyone had an introspective Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, whether observed as a faith-related holiday, a nice break from the work week or something else entirely. Check out this story from Religion & Ethics Newsweekly about how mandatory sentencing for drug crimes and non-violent offens

posted 1:32:44pm Jan. 18, 2012 | read full post »