Belief Beat

Belief Beat

Christian Explorers Claim Noah’s Ark Discovered in Turkey

posted by Nicole Neroulias

This story doesn’t pass my smell test, but it’s certainly making religion headlines: a Chinese-Turkish group of Christian explorers from Noah’s Ark Ministries International claims to have found the remains of Noah’s Ark on Turkey’s Mt. Ararat.

According to Abrahamic tradition, the massive wooden ship ferried Noah’s family and pairs of all the animal species to safety during the great flood, which biblical scholars estimate occurred more than 4,000 years ago. (Deluge myths are found in many other religions, which some historians believe references the end of the last ice age.)

Catholic News Agency, Fox News, and The Daily Mail are among the outlets staying on top of this story. Beliefnet blogger Ben Witherington is also on the case, noting that he’s heard it all before.

Seems pretty far-fetched to me, but then again, I’m a jaded journalist. (Plus, I learned about carbon dating vs. the Shroud of Turin and other religion artifacts back in college.) What do you think? Share your thoughts in the Comments section below.

*Click here to subscribe to Belief Beat and click here to follow Belief Beat on Twitter.

Keyman121

posted April 28, 2010 at 12:36 pm

PROPHEZINE BREAKING NEWS
Randall Price: Ark Pictures Are FAKE!!
Many of you have seen the preliminary news announcement of an alleged discovery of Noah’s Ark by a Chinese expedition team and asked me for clarification. I knew this was coming and have been praying about how to respond.
I was the archaeologist with the Chinese expedition in the summer of 2008 and was given photos of what they now are reporting to be the inside of the Ark. I and my partners invested $100,000 in this expedition (described below) which they have retained, despite their promise and our requests to return it, since it was not used for the expedition. The information given below is my opinion based on what I have seen and heard (from others who claim to have been eyewitnesses or know the exact details).
To make a long story short: this is all reported to be a fake.
The photos were reputed to have been taken off site near the Black Sea, but the film footage the Chinese now have was shot on location on Mt. Ararat. In the late summer of 2008 ten Kurdish workers hired by Parasut, the guide used by the Chinese, are said to have planted large wood beams taken from an old structure in the Black Sea area (where the photos were originally taken) at the Mt. Ararat site. In the winter of 2008 a Chinese climber taken by Parasut’s men to the site saw the wood, but couldn’t get inside because of the severe weather conditions. During the summer of 2009 more wood was planted inside a cave at the site. The Chinese team went in the late summer of 2009 (I was there at the time and knew about the hoax) and was shown the cave with the wood and made their film. As I said, I have the photos of the inside of the so-called Ark (that show cobwebs in the corners of rafters – something just not p! ossible in these conditions) and our Kurdish partner in Dogubabyazit (the village at the foot of Mt. Ararat) has all of the facts about the location, the men who planted the wood, and even the truck that transported it.
To my knowledge, the Chinese took no professional archaeologist or geologist who could verify or document the wood or the structure in situ (in its place of discovery). They were duped in 2006-2007 by Parasut when they were shown a similar cave with something they thought was wood. I met the Chinese when I went with a team of geologists to examine the “wood” in Dogubabyazit and to report that it was volcanic rock (called “tuff”) and not wood. Thereafter, since the Chinese were apparently able to get permits to climb in previously off-limit sites, I and two other professionals joined with the Chinese (bringing our own independent satellite data) and went with them to Mt. Ararat in 2008. During that expedition, the guide Parasut who claimed to have found the Ark, was constantly drunk and after one month sitting in a hotel waiting, the expedition never happened. It was at this time that I made contact with Dr. Richard Bright who has climbed Mt. Ararat 33 times in sea! rch of the Ark and with several others climbed the western side of Mt. Ararat with a shepherd (who had recently been discovered by Dr. Bright’s Kurdish partner) who knew the location of a piece of the Ark. Last year we had a good expedition to a higher site (the satellite site) and this summer we will excavate the shepherd’s site and have every reason to expect success.
I am sorry to have to report that this is apparently a fake (and I am sure that the Chinese do not know this, but they do not respond to my e-mails), however, we do hope soon to have the real thing.
I encourage your prayers for me and others who will have to explain this “discovery” to many others – because negative reports are never well received and motives are questioned, especially when those doing so are part of a competitive expedition. But we do not want people to reject the truth of the Bible because another Noah’s Ark report turns out to be false. We prefer to as clear upfront in our reporting as possible so Christians (and others) can make up their own minds.
I hope that this will be helpful to you at this time,
Randall Price
Archaeologist
Ark Search LLC Expedition
World of the Bible Ministries

zac

posted April 28, 2010 at 12:44 pm

When it sounds to good to be true, it usually is.

Sarmed Abdullah, MD

posted April 28, 2010 at 1:10 pm

While I find Randall’s comment interesting; a biblical-type story is no more than an ethics history that has nothing to do with what can or can not be found on physical basis. Seeking historical remnants in correlation with religious facts is in my view only a matter of human curiosity or political tactic.

Rob the Rev

posted April 28, 2010 at 1:27 pm

How can you find something that was never lost because it never existed. Noah’s ark is a myth, not history.

pagansister

posted April 28, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Yes, it is Noah’s Ark and for those that beleive that…the moon is actually made of green cheese!!

Sarmed Abdullah

posted April 28, 2010 at 2:31 pm

In the same manner at which you can easily find and understand the political reason that a Professor John Darsee during his/her assistance with Dr. Eugene Braunwald, MD at Harvard Medical School fabricated some facts in his research publications simply for illustrative reason(i.e. the example Darsee was trying to add evidence to preexisting genuine findings in order to illustrate and persuade you from his long tenior with Braunwald with what appeared from his previous laboratory times to be genuine research findings).

Dysfunctional Parrot

posted April 28, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Sigh, I guess I’ll weigh in.
First, I get a little tired of some people who feel the answer to any argument that threatens their worldview is an insult. Especially when the sum of their scientific knowledge is whatever Discovery Channel had on that week. That last sentence wasn’t sarcasm either.
Is it the ark? That’s just it, we don’t know. I for one want to know what it is because something has been stirring up the locals on that mountain for untold centuries. Let’s get to the bottom of this shall we?
So maybe we can hold off on insulting people of religious conviction. Because nothing will hurt more than being the punch-line in your own joke.

Sarmed Abdullah, MD

posted April 28, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Whereas mature individuals understand autonomy means a person accepts what is best for his/her own mind; virtual reality is unquestionable part of our educational future.

Sarmed Abdullah, MD

posted April 28, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Whereas mature individuals understand autonomy means a person accepts the evidence he/she needs for their own mind, virtual reality is unquestionable part of any educational future.

Charles Cosimano

posted April 28, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Is there anything so absurd that these people will not believe it?

Orion Scott

posted April 28, 2010 at 9:34 pm

there is not enough evidence for me to claim this to be noahs ark. The place seems to intact, the wood is not is as reported in the scripture.
what are the measurements of this thing? what kind of artifacts have been found ??
please don’t call this noahs ark until there is real evidence.
Just because I am a christian doesn’t make me completely gullible does it?
All I see in this discovery is a wooden house on a mountain that potentially can be really old.

Sarmed Abdullah

posted April 28, 2010 at 11:10 pm

The found animal deck is consistent with the described story in Quran. Carbon dating should also be important clue to the probably first known or first evidenced ship in history.

Sarmed Abdullah

posted April 28, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Even if there are artifacts of any form(s), they can be due to any cause such as old wars, transport,etc.

Yakov Levi

posted April 29, 2010 at 2:26 am

Thanks for sharing this but there are serious problems with this testimony:
1) It implies they buried the timbers under mounds of volcanic rock and glacier ice. Take a look at the actual photos.
2) It implies they TOOK A TRUCK UP ON THE MOUNTAIN with loads of HEAVY TIMBER. Does the landscape look like there are logging roads? And why would there be logging roads where there is insufficient lumber on the mountain?
3) This is an international story with many involved who have reputations to lose. They are not the Illuminati but Christians working with Moslems; assemblies of ordinary but highly educated people. Trying to counterfeit something like this in a zone that is protected because of regional political instability is unsound.
4) Discovery of Noah’s Ark is not going to make these people very rich; more so, it will open them up to ridicule. These people are doing it for the sake of the Gospel. The nation of Turkey has already set-up a monument for Noah’s Ark based on Ron Wyatt’s discovery but it generated very little traffic; few were interested. It did not become the new Disneyland.
3) This sounds like a financial dispute to me and doesn’t bear witness at this point if this letter is authentic.
Yakov Levi

Jeffrey W. Griffith

posted April 29, 2010 at 3:33 am

Nicole’s sniffer continues to be more accurate than Fox Noise (no real surprise there; I have a dog who could do a better job of reporting the news than the whole crew at Fox). The fundamentalist minister involved in financing and participating in the expedition has gone on the record to say that it is a fraud. See the following links:
In essence, the true story is that some of the guys hauled very ancient lumber from a structure near the Black Sea all the way up to the site so that it could later be “discovered” and pass the Carbon 14 test. A lot of the people in the expedition were duped while others were in on it. Dr. Randall Price, the American evangelist minister who had raised $100,000 to support the expedition, was on site and figured out what happened and quietly informed key people in his circle. His e-mail to them was leaked and made public, whereupon he posted an announcement on his site about the hoax.
So, whatever the truth of the Noah/Deucalion/Utnapishtim flood myth, this collection of lumber is not the Ark of yore. Odds are that even if this story were even partially true, the real Ark would have long since been termited, wood wormed and weathered beyond all trace. And, by the way, if the Ark did come to rest on the slopes of Mt. Ararat, it would not be 13,000 feet up as these timbers are because all of the water in the world could not raise the sea level even a substantial fraction of that height above current sea level. So, good call, Nicole!

Sun

posted April 29, 2010 at 12:11 pm

The reason scientists are up in arms over this discovery is because of several factors, non related to the actual discovery itself-
1) the discovery of the ark would serious deal a blow to modern science
2) because a group of “christian archeologists” discovered this and not “real scientists” (aka National Geographic etc) they are feeling as if their thunder was stolen
3) so far the “critics” have come up with 1000 different excuses- everything from this being some ancient temple (at an altitude of over 14,000 ft, I guess they were high from the lack of oxygen!) to a hoax (The turkish government funded the use of heavy equipment to bury wood from the black sea in a GLACIER and then blew up the volcano to cover over it and make it more realistic).
4) scientists are afraid for their credibility…
5) in all it comes down to the fact the skeptics do not want to beleive it

Sarmed Abdullah

posted April 29, 2010 at 1:57 pm

While I am not a fossil scientist, nothing in archeology is implied nor can be assumed until it is scientifically proven and authenticated. It is also the fact that the current definition of national , thus international boundaries did not exist at all at
the interesting Noah’s time. No matter what this ship remnant means; it is no more than a political reminder of actual ethics story that
pertains to dimensions independent from those of classic physics.

kenneth

posted April 29, 2010 at 6:10 pm

The history of “biblical archeology” and particularly that of “ark-eology” is a long unbroken record of cheesy hoaxes and shabby science. This reeks of the same. IF they’re willing to open their research and the site to non-ministry scientists and the work bears it out, that will be another matter, but I wouldn’t bet a dollar on that happening. The very fact that these groups feel the need to plant fake evidence also speaks volumes about their faith, or rather lack of it.

Sarmed Abdullah

posted April 29, 2010 at 9:08 pm

While you may enjoy this discussion, I don’t know kenneth’s definition of a non-ministry scientist. There had been lots of donations , charities and grants to study religious archeology.
I was raised in the world’s oldest city. I wouldn’t be astonished by the fact time events brought several changes to old remains of this type ( I emphasize because only accurate evidence here can be assumed, I don’t exactly know whether or not this is the ship or ark
of Noah referenced in the biblical -type books).

Scott

posted April 30, 2010 at 12:36 am

Why is this news? There is absolutely no proof they found an ark on Mount Ararat except the words coming out of there mouth. Show us where it is, bring in the scientist, turn your story into reality by letting a third independent party make the claims. I would say this is a hoax 99.9%. I would say 100% in 2 days if they refuse to show the Turkey Gov the site.

Goodguyex

posted April 30, 2010 at 8:39 am

There may actually be remains of something of a big boat up there; built by the Byzantines circa 1000 AD as a replica or memorial to Noah.
I understand there may be some historical indications of this.

Sarmed Abdullah

posted April 30, 2010 at 1:13 pm

The published photos and the deliberation with our local communities at this recent news and since before are to me sufficient evidence these very valuable remains are really there.

sailor1031

posted May 23, 2010 at 6:39 pm

hard to see how there could be remains of something that could not possibly have existed

Sarmed Abdullah

posted June 6, 2010 at 12:15 am

Only who constructed a ship in (1) imagination and (2) actual physical construction is who built a ship and only who approved wrote a paper with major contribution to its intellectual content (i.e. research) can be deemed its author (i.e. referring to the authenticity of scientific papers may be crucial to identifying as well as important to correlating their historcal (i.e. timely) perspective ).