QUESTIONS FOR CONSIDERATION BY THOSE WHO WONDER WHY BOB JONES UNIVERSITY HAS BEEN PLACED BY THE MEDIA AND CERTAIN CANDIDATES AT THE CENTER OF THE REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARY DEBATE
- Is there a spiritual warfare being waged daily against the people of God and is what is happening to BJU currently a part of that warfare?
- How do you explain the sudden hatred and bigotry the University is subjected to by the media and the political "three tenors," McCain, Gore, and Bradley, who sing the same off-pitch tune of the liberal left?
- Isn't it really a compliment to Bob Jones University that the likes of John McCain, Al Gore, and Bill Bradley seethe and fulminate against us? Would we not be embarrassed if they, with their philosophies, spoke well of us?
The great divide is between our biblical world view and their humanistic world view.
- Why has Bob Jones University become their whipping boy? Is it because they want to see George W. Bush defeated? Do they want him to look "guilty by association"?
- Why has the media for the first time decided to make the candidate a bad guy if he fails to condemn the beliefs with which he differs held by the group to which he is speaking? If a candidate is expected to do that, would there be anywhere he could go and make a speech?
Why are the radicals like Gore, Bradley, and Hillary permitted to seek the political blessing of the likes of Al Sharpton, an outspoken Jew-hater, without being required to distance themselves from his beliefs, while the Republican candidates are held to a different standard?
- Does the irrationality and intensity of the persistent hatred now directed at Bob Jones University seem outlandish?
Interracial Dating and Marriage
- Does the present liberal feeding frenzy on Bob Jones University, a Bible-based Christian institution of higher learning with impeccable and respected academic credentials, reveal a bias toward the people of God who stand unapologetically for the Lord Jesus Christ and His Word? Is it an attempt to marginalize, by caricature, Christians who are out of step with an age that is out of joint?
- Do Christians still have the right under the Constitution to believe and practice their faith even when their faith is out of sync with an ecumenical, antichrist, federal public policy?
- Is Bob Jones University tax exempt? No. The Supreme Court took it away from us in 1983 with a ruling that said, "First Amendment rights (freedom of religion) must yield in the interest of Federal public policy." This bone-chilling legal conclusion puts every church and religious organization in America in jeopardy. Religious freedom guarantees of the First Amendment are no longer their protection. They are now expected to adopt prevailing social policy into their belief system or be punished (in the case of Bob Jones University that punishment was the lifting of tax exemption).
- Does a Christian consensus have to exist to make a belief right? Who decides? Christians who hold tenaciously to the Scripture often differ in their understanding and application of their Scriptural interpretations. This doesn't make them insincere or un-Christian. Christians differ on what the Bible teaches about divorce and remarriage, about the mode of baptism, about the fine points of Christ's second coming, and a host of other things; but they respect those with whom they differ.
- Why is the focus being placed on something which is such a small and insignificant part of the University's whole, making it a media obsession? The last two or three generations of students who have graduated from this institution never once heard a discussion of this policy. It is not something that is preached or talked about.
This institution, offering more than 110 academic majors, produces men and women of character and trained intellect of the sort employers need and scarcely find today. We have a wholesome, disciplined, kind, and joyous student body. Racism and hatred are not part of our institutional character. The media has missed the point. Instead of exulting in the freshness and academic importance of the school, they have magnified something that we don't magnify and never discuss. Why?
- Is Bob Jones University guilty of racism because it has a rule restricting interracial dating? Students of all races attend here and live in racial harmony and respect for one another as Christians. If there is discrimination in the policy, which race is discriminated against? Black, white, or yellow? Each person dates within his own race. For there to be discrimination, one race would have to be treated differently than the other.
- Is Bob Jones University's interracial dating policy the issue, or is its right to hold the policy the issue?
- Since most people of all races choose to marry within their race, this furor against Bob Jones University seems totally disproportionate. The noise comes from but a strident few with personal agendas.
- If the people of all races who choose to attend Bob Jones University have something they can live with, why should the world at large care? It does them no harm. None of the University's rules have any bearing or influence upon society at large.
- Does Bob Jones University look down upon interracially married couples? No. The warning against interracial marriages is not about the couple, but about the one-world system.
- Can those who are already interracially married enter BJU as students? Yes. BJU enrolls interracially married couples who wish to be educated here even though we have our dating policy.
- Is there a Bible verse or passage that teaches against interracial marriage? No.
- Is there a Bible principle upon which the University's interracial dating stance is founded? Yes.
The one-world principle-every effort man has made, or will make, to bring the world together in unity plays into the hand of Antichrist. This first began at the Tower of Babel, and it will culminate at Armageddon when the Lord returns to establish His rule of peace and harmony for a thousand years.
Bob Jones University opposes one world, one church, one economy, one military, one race, and unisex. God made racial differences as He made sexual differences. Each race and each sex should be proud to be what God made it, and none should reproach the other.
- Does the University believe that those who choose interracial marriage do so out of rebellion against God? No. It does believe, however, that often the promoters of it do so out of antagonism toward God because they are often the same entities that promote homosexuality, abortion, and other forms of social radicalism.
Bob Jones University's policy regarding interracial dating is more of an opposition to the rebellious and defiant antichrist spirit of the promoters of one-worldism than to interracial dating itself. Many who date and marry interracially are just as opposed to one-worldism and the spirit of Antichrist as we are.