Apres Ski Stew
A great stew recipe
From, "Colorado Colore: A Palate of Tastes," published in cooperation with your Daily Inbox Newsletter.
- 1 pound round steak, trimmed and cubed
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 (14-ounce) cans beef broth or beef consomme
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and chopped, or
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen soup vegetables with potatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces fresh tomatoes, seeded and chopped, or
- 1 (4-ounce) can undrained diced tomatoes
Brown the beef on all sides in the oil in a skillet; drain. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour. Cook until smooth and bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in the broth gradually. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
Add the carrots, onion, celery, potato, Kitchen Bouquet and pepper to the broth mixture and mix well. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the beef and tomatoes and mix gently. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or to the desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Ladle the stew into bowls. You may substitute 1 cup dry red wine for 1 cup of the broth.
YIELDS: 6 (1 cup) servings