How NOT To Grieve
We humans will sometimes do anything rather than to undertake the hard work of grief – then think we’re accomplishing something. These actions may make us feel a little better temporarily, but it doesn’t move us out of our despairing state. Following is a list of ways people attempt to cope with their situation without actually facing their grief.
• Act out – giving in to the pressure to misbehave.
• Aim low – to what seems more achievable.
• Attack – beat down what’s threatening you.
• Avoid – stay away from anything that causes you stress.
• Compensate – make up for weakness in one area by gaining strength in another.
• Deny – refusing to acknowledge that the event occurred.
• Displace – shifting an intended action to a safer target (like kicking the dog).
• Fantasize – escaping reality to a world of unachievable wishes.
• Idealize – playing up the good points of a desired action and ignoring downsides.
• Identify – copying others to take on their desirable characteristics.
• Intellectualize – avoiding emotions by focusing on facts and logic.
• Passive aggression – getting your way by passive avoidance.
• Project – seeing your own undesirable characteristics in others.
• Rationalize – creating logical reasons for bad behavior.
• Regress – returning to a child state to avoid problems or responsibility.
• Suppress – consciously holding back unwanted urges while ignoring the root cause.
• Trivialize – making something small when it is really something big.
It's October - How to Get Ready for Black FridayWhen preparing for the shopping frenzy, there are some key things to consider...
The Do's and Don'ts of Online Black Friday ShoppingBefore you begin your online shopping endeavors check out these do's and don'ts...
The Toddler Code of Conduct: 20 Rules Toddlers Live...Toddlers must have a Code of Conduct hardwired into their DNA! Check out these...
Incredible Photos of Parents Around the WorldWhat does it mean to be a parent? Here's a glimpse into the loving, courageous...
10 Toys You Should Never Buy Your ChildParents, here are 10 toys you should never buy your child. Ever.