10 Caregiver Confessions: Secrets We Aren’t Proud Of
Wouldn't it be nice to be perfect? Wouldn't it be nice to be a caregiver who had only loving thoughts every moment of the caregiving day? Maybe there are caregivers like that. If you are one of them, I truly congratulate you. Most of us who have been through years of caregiving will not fall into that category. I don't. How about you? Here's a sampling of "caregiver confessions" that I've heard. You'll likely feel better just reading them.
Some Non-Angelic Caregiver Thoughts
1. I have no life of my own and I'm sick of it.
2. Mom acts like my boss even when it comes to what I eat.
3. How much longer can I keep this up? There is no light at the end of this tunnel.
4. Dad has no clue what I give up to do this. He thinks his care is routine.
5. Everybody wants a piece of me – there's nothing of myself left for me.
6. I can't even take a bath without someone needing me.
7. Nothing I do pleases them – they are never happy.
8. I just want to scream, run away, hide somewhere, or change my identity.
9. Maybe if I just take all of Mom's sleeping pills I won't have to wake up to this again.
10. She is suffering so much. She's been half dead for months. Why can't she just let go and die?
Obviously, some of these thought are more serious than others, however what is most important is the frequency of the thoughts and the duration. Let's look at them more closely.
"10 Caregiver Confessions: Secrets We Aren’t Proud Of" was provided courtesy of AgingCare.com and written by Carol Bradley Bursack
AgingCare.com is a leading website that connects people caring for elderly parents to other caregivers, personalized information, and local resources. Go to http://www.agingcare.com.
5 Things You Never Knew About Your CycleLadies, these facts about your menstrual cycle will surprise you.
6 Practical Life Lessons Jesus Taught the DisciplesJesus was not just a Savior, but He was also a friend, a teacher, and mentor...
Child Poverty Rates Higher Than During the RecessionStatistics note that twenty-two percent of American children were living in...
5 Secular Songs That Mention GodIt’s amazing to see how God is glorified even in the secular realm. Here’s a...
More from Beliefnet