The Seven Signs of a Negative Spirit
Not all the angels we meet are good. Here are practical ways to help you discern a good spirit from a bad one.
BY: Ted Andrews
There is a responsibility in working with the spirit realm. You can open up to it, but it is not always that easy to close down, especially if you opened to it in an incorrect manner. Keep in mind that psychic and clairvoyant ability does not necessarily include high moral character. There are ignorant mediums and psychics. That is why it is better for you to develop the ability yourself, or at least learn to “try the spirits.” A psychic or medium can introduce you to some of your spirit guides, but he or she should not be your sole intermediary.
Use discernment. There are ways to determine whether or not you are impressed with mere fancy. If valid, the information will be verifiable on some level. Confirmation will come to you through other sources or by events working out, as told by spirit. Negative spirits will not communicate smoothly. The experience will be unpleasant and uncomfortable. It will create stress. Those spirits that are negative are more likely to approach you during times of dilemma, so greater discrimination is required at such times.
Join a meditation or development group. If you do not feel comfortable with the group after several meetings, keep searching until you find one in which you do feel comfortable. There are many wonderful groups out there. Unfortunately, there are also a few negative, cult-like groups as well. You probably will never encounter them, but be aware that they do exist.
always have certain common characteristics and strategies. They recognize that if they can institute a behavior, they can get you to change a belief. Beware of the following:
- A group that wants you to make sudden changes in your environment. This leads to suggestibility and may change your basic beliefs.
- A group that pushes you into making important decisions without giving you time to think about them.
- A group that requires absolute obedience.
- A group that makes claims of divinity or of special knowledge.
- A group that tries to separate or alienate you from friends and family.
- A group that has exhausting sessions, leaving you drained.
- A group that lacks respect for your privacy.
Always ask questions, no matter how silly or stupid you may think they are. I know it is cliché, but there is no such thing as a stupid question. Focus on your own activities and development, and don’t open yourself to personal confessions. Always maintain outside contact and work with the everyday world. Remember that you have the right and the need to say “no” to anything that makes you feel uncomfortable.
Don't Overstay Your Welcome with Spirits
Opening to thespirit realm
is not something to dabble in. It is not a parlor game. You can enjoy the development process, but you must learn to respect this enlightening realm. Use the exercises in this book as much as possible for the first few months. Meditate just to maintain balance and relieve stress. Use the Middle Pillar Exercise frequently for balance and energy. Once you begin to open to the spirit realm, do not go to spirit too often or for every decision. Moderation is the key.
There are many people who work to develop their sensitivity so they can do psychic readings. There is nothing wrong with this, but there is a great responsibility. Here are some specific concerns that should be looked at:
- Make sure you get some formal training in counseling. You may get intuitive impressions and messages from spirit, but you must know how to present them in a way that allows the individual to use the information. A good 85 percent of those who would come to you are coming because of real problems and not necessarily for psychic information; the counseling and the psychic work should go hand in hand.
- Don’t work with spirit too often. It is easy to become dependent upon them. You must live your life. They can assist, but you must live it. Be active in your life and in your spirit guide work.
- Similarly, don’t provide consultations for others too frequently. They will become dependent upon you, rather than living their own lives. I generally will not read or consult for someone more than once a yean For most people, there is not enough change to warrant it. I tell them to just call if specific questions or concerns arise. Otherwise, there is no need to do a full consultation. In other words, don’t use your spirit contact as a crutch or become superstitious about it. Do not allow those you counsel to do this either.
- Do not make decisions for others or tell them what to do. Interpret and mediate, but do not direct! What you say can take on greater importance when a psychic connection occurs during a consultation or reading. Remain detached and avoid, as much as possible, personal preferences.
- Always honor client confidentiality. No one but you and the individual have the right to know what goes on in the session. If the other person wishes to tell others, that is fine, but you do not have that right. It is a matter of trust.
- Let the person know that there is free will. You may, with the help of your spirit guides, be able to pinpoint a pattern or particular flow of energy—events coming into the individual’s life— but it is not engraved in stone.
- Use the traditional sandwich technique. Start with the positive. If there is a troublesome or negative area, deal with it in the middle. Do it in a manner that reveals options and possible solutions. It should reinforce hope. The end should always be more positive!