American Muslims Have a 'Special Obligation'
An American Muslim leader asks: Who has the greatest duty to stop violence committed by Muslims in the name of Islam? Muslims
The terrorist attack on Sept. 11th exacerbated a double-bind American Muslims have been feeling for some time. So often, it seems, we have to apologize for reprehensible actions committed by Muslims in the name of Islam. We tell other Americans, "People who do these things (oppression of women, persecution of religious minorities, terrorism) have distorted the 'true' Islam."
And so often we have to tell other Muslims throughout the world that America is not as bad as it appears. We say, "These policies (support for oppressive governments, enforcement of sanctions responsible for the deaths almost 1 million Iraqi children, vetoing any criticism of Israel at the United Nations) contradict the 'true' values of America."
- Museum of the Bible: Ancient History Meets Modern Technology
- Conan O’Brien Makes Powerful Statement On the Charlie Hebdo Tragedy
- Christians Flee Mosul as Extremist Group Threatens Death
- Science Catches Up With The Bible: Study Shows Religion Doesn’t Make People Righteous
- Christians Bad Tippers? No Not Really