How to Make Three Kings Cake
Recipes for versions of a popular Christmastime treat.
1. Place the flour and salt into a large bowl.
2. Make a well in the centre and pour in the dissolved yeast.
3. Gradually mix in the flour.
4. When the mixture is thick, sprinkle all over with flour and let rest for 15 minutes in a warm place.
5. Meanwhile, cream together the butter and sugar.
6. Mix the zests, brandy, orange flower water and the two eggs into the dough.
7. Knead until it becomes smooth.
8. Gradually mix in the butter, kneading constantly, until the dough becomes even smoother and more elastic.
9. Cover with greased paper and let rise in a warm place for about 90 minutes, until the dough has doubled in volume.
10. Place the dough on a floured surface.
11. Knead for 2 to 3 minutes.
12. Add in the silver coin, figurine, bean, or almond.
13. With your hands, roll the dough into a long sausage-shape, approximately 65 cm (2 feet) long and 13 cm (5") thick.
14. Place on a baking sheet, forming the dough into a circle.
15. Join the two ends by pinching the dough together.
16. Cover with greased paper and let rest another 90 minutes or until the dough has doubled in volume.
17. Brush the crown with the beaten egg white.
18. Decorate with the almonds and slices of candied fruit, pressing them down so that they stick to the dough.
19. Place into a 180° C (350° F) oven.
20. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the bread is cooked and golden brown.
21. Place on a rack and let cool.
1. Divide the puff pastry in half.
2. Roll out to form two discs.
3. Place the first disc on a baking sheet.
4. Spread a layer of almond paste on top.
5. Place the bean inside.
6. Cover with the second circle of pastry.
7. Using a knife, create a decorative pattern on the top of the pastry.
8. Brush with the beaten egg yolk.
9. Bake at 180° C (350° F) for 20-25 minutes, until the top is nicely browned.
More from Beliefnet
comments powered by Disqus