Dalai Lama Videos
More Dalai Lama Features
Top Beliefnet Features
- El extraño caso de una mujer que estuvo embarazada 46 años
- Vientres de alquiler
- Entérate de lo que esconde la increíble Shi Cheng
- Mira Estas 20 Aberraciones De La Naturaleza
- 8 Casos De Extrema Locura Por Amor. ¿Y Tú, Llegarías Tan Lejos?
- Se Fue de Viaje Y Trajo Algo Muy Repulsivo Dentro de su Nariz.¡Es Realmente Asqueroso!
- Today in Tibetan Buddhism Dalai Lama Quotes About Peace To mark the 50 years since the beloved Tibetan leader fled to India, be inspired by his words on freedom, harmony, and love. More »
You should be an island to yourself, a refuge to yourself, not dependent on any other but taking refuge in the truth and none other than the truth. And how do you become an island and a refuge to yourself? In this way. You see and contemplate your body as composed of all the forces of the universe. Ardently and mindfully you steer your body-self by restraining your discontent with the world about you. In the same way, observe and contemplate your feelings and use that same ardent restraint and self-possession against enslavement by greed or desire. By seeing attachment to your body and feelings as blocking the truth, you dwell in self-possession and ardent liberation from those ties. This is how you live as an island to yourself and a refuge to yourself. Whoever dwells in this contemplation, islanded by the truth and taking refuge in the truth--that one will come out of the darkness and into the light.
From "Buddha Speaks," edited by Anne Bancroft, 2000. Reprinted by arrangement with Shambhala Publications, Boston, www.shambhala.com.