Beliefnet News

“A teenage girl who doctors believed was going to die has been hailed a real-life miracle – after she came back to life when a priest put holy water on her head,” reports the British tabloid the Daily Mail.

Two years go, 13-year-old actress Lucy Hussey-Bergonzi was rushed to the hospital suffering from a brain hemorrhage a few days after filming a bit part in the film “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.”

She had been kept alive by life support machines for five days, then her parents were told she wouldn’t make it.

“Her collapse was triggered by a rare condition Lucy had carried since birth called Arteriovenous malformation,” reports the tabloid, “a cluster of abnormal blood vessels that remain undetected until they burst.”

The Daily Mail reports:

Lucy was transferred to Great Ormond Street Hospital on February 15, 2009, where she got through two operations while she was in a coma

At her bedside Lucy’s mother Denise, 41, was told by doctors it was time to say goodbye to her daughter.

As the family gathered to say prayers for Catholic Lucy, the priest prepared the holy water ready to douse Lucy’s lifeless forehead.

As the water splashed on Lucy’s skin the stunned family saw her arm shoot up in air.

Within 24 hours of her baptism Lucy was off the machines and showing signs of recovery as baffled doctors looked on struggling for an explanation.

Mrs Hussey-Bergonzi said: ‘Nothing could have prepared me for the day she was taken into hospital. We were so scared I just wanted to pick her up and run away with her, I really thought I was having a nightmare and any minute I was going to wake up and Lucy would be fine.

“When we got to the hospital a nurse came over and told me I had to leave her room. When I said ‘I’m not leaving’ they told me that Lucy was in a coma and they were putting her on a life support machine. I had no idea it was that serious. My world just came crashing down around me.’

“It was the day after her second operation when I turned to my husband Robert and said ‘we have to get her baptised,'” said Denise. “At that point I really thought she was going to die and I wanted to give her the best chance in the next life.

“So five days after Lucy was first taken into hospital we were by her bedside saying prayers watching her about to be baptized. Then the moment the priest put holy water on Lucy’s head, her arm suddenly moved up. At first I thought she might be having a fit but within 24 hours she was taken off all the life support machines and tubes.

“When I asked the doctors why she had come back to us they said they can’t explain how it happened and to this day they don’t know how or why she recovered.”

Today, aged 16, Lucy is slowly rebuilding her life, the Daily Mail reports.

 “I don’t know what to make of the way I came out of the coma,” she told the newspaper. “I’d never heard of anything like this before. The doctors were saying it was a miracle, people who have brain hemorrhages usually don’t survive them.

‘I think it was a miracle, I can’t think of any other explanation.’

CLICK HERE to read more: