Everyone is a channel for spirit guidance. We innately have the capacity to connect with the spiritual energies that surround us all the time. Not only is this apparent in nature, but in our own intuitive faculties. Yet, many people assume that contacting and working with their spirit guides and angels requires an extra special talent. It does not. It simply is a matter of being open to receiving the guidance that is always available to us.
We also want to assure that the level of information received is not only accurate, but also of the highest quality. This means that we want to attract only the most reliable and enlightened spirit guides. Another important factor is to be receptive to the guidance. This openness is what allows you to feel the love and support your guides have to offer. A common mistake that many make in attempting to contact their guides, is to strain to communicate with them. They assume that spirit is far away and therefore, difficult to reach. One of the most important things that you can do to become a clear channel is to relax and trust. Never try to channel; this is over-striving. Allowing the energy to flow through you requires a receptive state of being.
1. Prepare your environment.
Before calling on your spirit guides and angels, set up your environment, including a comfortable seating arrangement. Have a glass of water within reach. Dim your lights, lower window blinds and/or close curtains. You may also choose to light incense and/or candles. Include in your space any crystals, sacred objects, or pictures that are meaningful to you. Turn off the ringer on your telephone and make sure that you will not be disturbed for the length of time you plan to practice. Wear comfortable clothes, little or no jewelry, and remove your shoes.
2. Be specific about what type of guides you are invoking.
We try to be discriminating about the company we keep in our everyday life. This discernment must also be present when invoking the spirit world. Hold the intention and desire to attract in only those spirit beings that provide guidance, love, and higher teachings. You can say, “I now invite in all of my loving and wise, spirit guides and angels to be with me now.” It is a good idea to do this invocation every day when you first rise.
3. Be clear in your intention.
The more specific you are when asking for guidance in a particular area of your life, the more that your guides and angels can assist you. Your intention will set the tone for this relationship. When your purpose is clear that you want to communicate, spirit will automatically be aware of this, and it will enable them to connect with you more effectively. Your mind-set creates an opening for them to reach you.
There is an attunement between the sender (the spirits), and the receiver (the channel), that must occur. Working with our spirit guides and angels is a two-way communication. Only when you are open to this higher guidance, can you perceive its existence in your life.
4. Do not rush the process.
Proceed slowly; do not rush the process. Pause between each step, taking as much time as you need. It is important not to have expectations, or to overreach. You want to be open, and relaxed.
5. Stretch, relax, and breathe.
- To relax and release any accumulated tension or stress, stretch (preferably standing); shake out your arms and legs as well. Stretch as much as you feel necessary until there is an increased sense of relaxation.
- Stretch again, and simultaneously sigh (a long, deep, audible sigh on the out breath). Do as many times as you feel necessary to achieve a state of relaxation.
- Take a deep breath in through your nose, filling your lungs completely; hold for several seconds, then breathe out through the mouth (making an audible sighing sound on the out breath), and relax. Do a total of three times.
- Continue to breathe deeply, and relax your body. Do not force your breathing; simply allow the natural rhythm of your breath to flow in and out.
- Become aware of the point within the breath, where there is stillness (no mental chatter), and focus your mind there. This is achieved by concentrating your attention on the quiet center that exists between the in and out breath. Continue to go deeper into that center point within, spending as much time as you need, calming and centering your mind.