From, "True Grits...Tall Tales and Recipes from the New South," published in cooperation with your Daily InBox newsletter.
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (6- to 7-pound) beef tenderloin
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 4 ounces bleu cheese, crumbled
- 1 (8-ounce) bottle red wine vinegar and oil salad dressing
- 1/4 cup crushed peppercorns
- 10 whole mushrooms
- Several sprigs of fresh watercress
* Saute the sliced mushrooms and green onions in the butter in a skillet; drain. Stir in the parsley and set aside.
* Trim the excess fat from the tenderloin. Cut a pocket in 1 side, leaving 1/4 inch or more uncut at each end. Sprinkle with the seasoned salt and lemon pepper. Spoon the mushroom mixture into the pocket.
* Sprinkle the filling with the bleu cheese. Close the pocket and secure at 2-inch intervals with heavy string.
* Place the tenderloin in a shallow dish. Add the salad dressing. Marinate in the refrigerator for 8 hours or longer, basting occasionally.
* Drain the tenderloin; press the peppercorns into the surface.
* Grill, covered, over medium heat for 35 minutes or until done to taste. Remove to a platter, discarding the string. Arrange the whole mushrooms and watercress around the tenderloin.