Pumpkin Curry Soup
Time Saving Tip: Soup may be prepared a day ahead.
|Serving Size||¼ recipe|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||30 g|
|Dietary Fiber||11 g|
|Vitamin A||680% DV|
|Vitamin C||6% DV|
Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Ingredients and Preparation
|Finely chopped onion||1 cup|
|Garlic cloves, finely chopped||2|
|Celery, diced||1 cup|
|Curry powder||1 teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1/8 teaspoon|
|Crushed red pepper||1/8 teaspoon|
|Low sodium chicken broth||1 cup|
|Pumpkin puree||1 can (32 ounces)|
|Fat-free half-and-half||1 cup|
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, celery, and garlic; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in curry powder, coriander, and crushed red pepper; cook for 1 minute.
- Add water and broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes to develop flavors.
- Stir in pumpkin and half-and-half; cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Transfer mixture to food processor or blender (in batches, if necessary); cover.
- Blend until creamy. Serve warm or reheat to desired temperature.
- Garnish with dollop of sour cream and chives.
Time Saving Tip: Soup may be prepared the day ahead. Cool to room temperature after adding pumpkin and half-and-half. Cover and refrigerate. Just before serving, blend then reheat to serving temperature, but do not boil.
Fruit: 0; Vegetables: 1; Meat: 0; Milk: 0; Fat: 1; Carbs: 1; Other: 0
Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association Exchange System. Exchanges are rounded up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore, partial exchanges are not included.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © 2011 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.