Black Beans With Rice
This delicious Caribbean favorite is cholesterol-free and made with very little added fat.
Ingredients and Preparation
|Dry black beans||1 pound|
|Medium green pepper, coarsely chopped||1|
|Chopped onion||1 ½ cups|
|Vegetable oil||1 tablespoon|
|Garlic cloves, minced||1|
|Vinegar (or lemon juice)||1 tablespoon|
|Rice, cooked in unsalted water||6 cups|
|Sliced pimento, drained||1 jar (4 ounces)|
|Lemon, cut into wedges||1|
- Pick through beans to remove bad beans. Soak beans overnight in cold water. Drain and rinse.
- In large soup pot or dutch oven, stir together beans, water, green pepper, onion, oil, bay leaves, garlic, and salt. Cover and boil 1 hour.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 3-4 hours or until beans are very tender. Stir occasionally and add water if needed.
- Remove about 1/3 of the beans, mash and return to pot. Stir and heat through.
- Remove bay leaves and stir in vinegar or lemon juice when ready to serve.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with sliced pimento and lemon wedges.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © 2011 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.