|Total Fat||14.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||3.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||49.5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|
Ingredients and Preparation
|Olive oil||2 teaspoons|
|Small yellow onion, sliced||1|
|Garlic, minced||1 clove|
|Red bell pepper, cut into strips||1|
|Chicken breast, cut into strips||½ pound|
|Ground cumin||1 tablespoon|
|Chili powder||1 tablespoon|
|Lime juice||2 tablespoons|
|Whole-wheat fajita-style tortillas||4|
|Light sour cream||2 tablespoons|
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add onion, pepper, and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly tender.
- Add chicken and cook 2-3 minutes, or until browned on all sides.
- Add cumin, chili powder, and lime juice, and continue cooking for an additional 4-5 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Place tortillas between damp paper towels and heat in microwave 1-1 ½ minutes, or until warm.
- Divide vegetable and chicken mixture between tortillas and garnish with salsa, sour cream, cheese, and guacamole (optional—see below).
3 starches; 3 very lean meats; 3 fats; 1.5 vegetables
Side Suggestions: Fresh Guacamole
Slice 1 ripe avocado in half and scoop insides into small mixing bowl. Mash to desired consistence and add 1 tablespoon chopped red onion, 1 tablespoon seeded chopped tomato, ½ tablespoon fresh lime juice, ½-1 teaspoon minced jalapeno, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir together. Nutrition Info (for ½ recipe): 165 calories; 8 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 15 g fat (2 g sat); 5 g fiber; 311 mg sodium. Exchanges: 1.5 vegetables; 3 fats.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © 2011 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.