(HIT; Heparin-Induced Low Blood Platelet Count)
DefinitionPlatelets are a special type of blood cell. They help form clots so that you do not bleed too much. Heparin is a blood-thinning medication that decreases clotting.Thrombocytopenia means low blood platelet count. Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia is low blood platelet count caused by heparin. This condition can lead to a lot of bleeding. In some cases, it can also develop into excessive blood clotting.
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
CausesThis type of thrombocytopenia is caused by an immune reaction to heparin.
Risk FactorsTaking heparin is a risk factor for developing this condition.
SymptomsSymptoms of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia include:
- Excessive bleeding from cuts
- Bleeding from your gums or nose
- Superficial bleeding on the skin—looks like reddish/purple spots, often on the legs
- Blood in urine or stool
- Heavy menstrual flow
- Pain or swelling in the legs
- Chest pain
- Difficulty breathing
- Rapid, irregular heartbeat
DiagnosisYour doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history. A physical exam will be done.Your bodily fluids may be tested. This can be done with blood tests.Images may be taken of your bodily structures. This can be done with ultrasound.
TreatmentTalk with your doctor about the best plan for you. Treatment options include the following:
- Stopping the use of heparin
- Anticoagulating drugs—to reduce the risk of blood clots:
- Vitamin K Antagonists Therapy (VKA)— if you were taking VKA, it will be stopped and you will be given Vitamin K; the VKA will be restarted when your platelet count is normal.
- Blood transfusion —for severe bleeding, to replace lost blood
More from Beliefnet
A randomized trial found that fecal microbiota transplantation had a higher rate of remission in patients with active ulcerative colitis than those who recieved placebo. Fecal transplantation is believed to help the intestine develop a healthy balance of bacteria in the gut which can help the intestine recover and function more effectively.
Exercise Associated with Healthy Baby Weight
Mindful Meditation May Reduce Symptoms and Complications of Insomnia
Chewing Gum After Surgery May Improve Digestive Tract Recovery