Diabetes Center—Type 1
General OverviewType 1 diabetes is a disorder in which the body does not make insulin. Insulin is a hormone that helps the body convert food into energy. Without insulin, glucose (sugar) from the food you eat cannot enter cells, causing your body tissue to become starved for energy.More
- What is type 1 diabetes?
- What are the risk factors?
- What are the symptoms?
- How is it diagnosed?
- What are the screening tests?
- What are the complications of type 1 diabetes?
- How can I reduce my risk?
- What questions should I ask my healthcare provider about type 1 diabetes?
Living With DiabetesIn her own words: living with type 1 diabetesRead about one woman's experience of growing up with type 1 diabetes.
Natural and Alternative Treatments (By Condition)
American Diabetes Association
Juvenile Diabetes Foundation International
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive & Kidney Diseases