DefinitionVitiligo is a disorder in which white patches develop on the skin. The patches may appear on any part of the body, including the hair, eyes, and mouth.
CausesThe white patches are due to the destruction of melanocytes cells. These cells in the skin make pigment. Loss of pigment causes the skin to become lighter. It looks especially lighter compared to normal skin nearby. This is why vitiligo is more visible in darker-skinned people.The exact cause of the pigment loss is not known. Possible causes include:
- The body’s immune system may destroy the melanocytes
- Melanocytes may destroy themselves
- Defective nerve cells may make toxic substances that harm the melanocytes
Risk FactorsVitiligo is more common in people between the ages of 10 and 30 years. Other factors that may increase your chance for vitiligo include:
- Family members with vitiligo or hair turning gray early
- Certain autoimmune diseases, such as thyroid disease
SymptomsThe main symptom is white patches on the skin. These patches may be clumped together or all over the body. Some common sites of pigment loss include:
- Areas exposed to the sun such as the face, hands, arms, and upper part of the chest
- Areas around body openings such as the eyes, nostrils, mouth, navel, and genitals
- Body folds such as the groin and armpits
- Sites of chronic minor injury such as knuckles and elbows
- Sites of injury such as scrapes, cuts, and burns
- The area around moles
DiagnosisYou will be asked about your symptoms and medical history. A physical exam and eye exam will be done. The diagnosis is usually made by the appearance of the skin. A skin biopsy may be done to confirm it. Special UV lamps may be used during the skin exam.
More from Beliefnet
A randomized trial found that drinking water before main meals led to higher weight loss than those who were asked to imagine a full stomach before main meals. Water preloading is believed to help create a feeling of fullness or satiety during the meal, which may help curb overeating.
Fecal Transplants Induce Ulcerative Colitis Remission
Exercise Associated with Healthy Baby Weight
Mindful Meditation May Reduce Symptoms and Complications of Insomnia