DefinitionGrowth hormone (GH) controls the growth of soft tissue and bone. Elevated GH causes an excess of bone and soft tissue growth. In adults, this can cause a rare disorder called acromegaly. It can cause serious complications and early death if not treated.In young children, bone growth is still occurring. Excess GH can cause a similar condition called gigantism. Gigantism causes dramatic growth in children.
CausesThe pituitary gland is a small gland located at the base of the brain. It produces many hormones, including GH. In most cases, the elevation of GH is caused by a benign tumor of this gland. In a small number of cases, cancerous tumors of other organs, such as the pancreas, adrenal, or lung, may be the source of excess GH.
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Risk FactorsAcromegaly is more common in people who are aged 40-45 years. Family history of acromegaly may rarely increase your risk of this condition.
SymptomsSymptoms usually develop slowly over time.In children, the bones are longer and cause soft tissue swelling. If not treated, children can grow to a height of 7-8 feet.Symptoms and complications in adults may include:
- Abnormally large growth and deformity of the:
- Hands—rings no longer fit
- Feet—need a bigger size shoe
- Face—bulging of brow and lower jaw
- Jaw—teeth do not line up correctly when the mouth is closed
- Skin changes, such as:
- Thickened, oily, and sometimes darkened skin
- Severe acne
- Excessive sweating and unpleasant body order due to enlargement of the sweat glands
- Deepening voice due to enlarged sinuses, vocal cords, and soft tissues of the throat
- Difficulty sleeping due to a blocked airway
- Swelling in the neck
- Fatigue and weakness in the legs and arms
- Joint pain, especially in the jaw
- In women:
- Irregular menstrual cycles
- Abnormal production of breast milk
- In men—inability to get or sustain an erection
More from Beliefnet
Insomnia can make your days miserable and a cure can be hard to find. There are some medications but there is some worry with side effects and the potential for addiction. Music is side effect free and according to this study may help you find sleep.
CPAP May Help Older Adults with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Water Before Meals May Promote Weight Loss
Fecal Transplants Induce Ulcerative Colitis Remission