Managing Symptoms of Menopause
The following tips may be beneficial for these common symptomsof menopause .
Hot FlashesHot flashes are the most common symptom in women going through menopause. Here are some ways you can stay cool:
- Wear fabrics that breathe, such as cotton.
- Dress in layers so you can easily remove some of the layers when you are warm.
- If you feel a hot flash coming on, drink a glass of coldwater.
- If troubled by night sweats, keep an ice packby your bed.
- Consider investing in mattress pads or bedding that is designed to keep you cool.
- Decrease your intake of caffeine and alcohol.
- Avoid spicy foods and hot drinks.
- If you smoke, talk to your doctor about ways to quit.
- The herb black cohosh is also widely used to treat hot flashes. Talk to your doctor before taking any herbs or supplements.
Vaginal Dryness and Urinary ProblemsPhysical problems are not limited to hot flashes. Your body undergoes lots of changes. Contrary to popular belief, you can maintain an active sex life. Try these tips:
- Use a vaginal cream or lubricant (avoid petroleum jelly) tohelp reduce pain from dryness during sexual intercourse.
- Urinate before and after sexual intercourse to help preventbladder infections.
- To help prevent urinary tract infections, drink plenty of fluids and empty your bladder frequently.
- Try Kegel exercises daily. These exercises, which tighten and relax the muscles you use tostop urination, strengthen the vaginal muscles, enhanceorgasm, and help prevent incontinence.
Psychological ProblemsIt is not uncommon to feel anxious, irritable, or depressed. The following suggestions may help you:
- Communicate openly with your partner about your symptoms andask for support.
- Join or even start a support group specific to menopause orother life changes you are experiencing.
- Find and share support with friends who are goingthrough the same experience.
- Seek counseling to learn new methods to cope with stress.
- Identify which sources of stress you can eliminate from yourlife.
More from Beliefnet