Keep the Weight off When You Quit Smoking
Many people are concerned about gaining weight when they quit smoking. But, with a healthy diet and regular exercise, this weight gain can be prevented. Also, adopting these healthy lifestyle factors will make you feel better. Feeling better overall may help you keep from smoking again.
DietAll of us should strive for a healthy diet, whatever our specific goals are. But, when you are quitting smoking, it is especially important. A healthy diet can help prevent weight gain while your body recovers from the damage of smoking. Adapting your eating habits also gives you something to focus on other than smoking.Evidence shows that taking on a weight management program helps keep weight gain from happening over a long period of time. When you quit, you may see an increase in your appetite, so plan the right choices when you feel hungry. Here are some tips that may help you:
- Plan ahead and space your meals every 3-4 hours.
- Avoid coffee if possible, and drink more water.
- Eat a balanced diet with good carbohydrates and proteins .
- Know your smoking triggers. If certain foods make you want to smoke, avoid them and choose other foods.
- To avoid after meal cravings, eat a small healthy dessert like fruit, angel food cake, or something sugar-free.
- Keep healthy snack options like carrots or popcorn, readily available.