|Ground turkey||4 ounces|
|Italian-style turkey or chicken sausage, casings removed if possible||4 ounces|
|Grated Parmesan cheese||2 + 1 tablespoons|
|Flat-leaf parsley, chopped||2 + 1 tablespoons|
|Garlic cloves, minced||1 + 1|
|Dried thyme||½ teaspoon|
|Freshly ground pepper to taste|
|Olive oil||2 teaspoons|
|Small white onion, chopped||½|
|Crushed tomatoes||14-ounce can|
- In a large mixing bowl, combine turkey, sausage, egg white, Parmesan, parsley, 1 garlic clove, thyme, salt, and pepper. Form mixture into 1-inch balls and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting fat and salt.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 2-3 minutes, until onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Simmer about 5 minutes, until sauce thickens slightly.
- Add meatballs to sauce, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer about 15 minutes, turning meatballs occasionally, until meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve meatballs and sauce over pasta, and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and parsley.
3 medium-fat meats; 2 starches; 1 vegetable
Side Suggestions: Tossed Green Salad
|Serving Size||½ of recipe|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3.5 g|
Many medical groups felt that early exposure to certain foods like peanuts increased a child's risk of developing food allergies. However, newer research including this trial suggest that early exposure may actually decrease the risk of developing food allergies.
Breastfeeding May Decrease the Risk of Childhood Obesity
Tonsillectomy May Reduce Number of Sore Throat Days in Children
Research Review Finds Little Support for Nearly Half of Medical Talk Show Recommendations