|Ground turkey||4 ounces|
|Italian-style turkey or chicken sausage, casings removed if possible||4 ounces|
|Grated Parmesan cheese||2 + 1 tablespoons|
|Flat-leaf parsley, chopped||2 + 1 tablespoons|
|Garlic cloves, minced||1 + 1|
|Dried thyme||½ teaspoon|
|Freshly ground pepper to taste|
|Olive oil||2 teaspoons|
|Small white onion, chopped||½|
|Crushed tomatoes||14-ounce can|
- In a large mixing bowl, combine turkey, sausage, egg white, Parmesan, parsley, 1 garlic clove, thyme, salt, and pepper. Form mixture into 1-inch balls and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting fat and salt.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 2-3 minutes, until onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Simmer about 5 minutes, until sauce thickens slightly.
- Add meatballs to sauce, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer about 15 minutes, turning meatballs occasionally, until meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve meatballs and sauce over pasta, and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and parsley.
3 medium-fat meats; 2 starches; 1 vegetable
Side Suggestions: Tossed Green Salad
|Serving Size||½ of recipe|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3.5 g|
A systematic review found that participants given chewing gum after abdominal surgery may have a faster return to normal for their digestive system. Unfortunately, the quality of trials is low and more research will need to be done before this simple solution is confirmed.
Early Peanut Consumption Associated with Lower Risk of Peanut Allergy in High Risk Children
Breastfeeding May Decrease the Risk of Childhood Obesity
Tonsillectomy May Reduce Number of Sore Throat Days in Children