|Reduced-sodium vegetable stock||1 1/3 cups|
|Small yellow onion, minced||½|
|Olive oil||2 teaspoons|
|Short- or medium-grain rice||½ cup|
|Freshly ground pepper to taste|
|Dry white wine (reduced-fat vegetable stock can be substituted here)||¼ + ½ cup|
|Large scallops||½ pound|
|All-purpose flour||1 ½ tablespoons|
|Garlic, minced||1 clove|
- Heat stock in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté 2-3 minutes, until tender. Then add rice and continue sautéing 2-3 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and ¼ cup wine; stir; and let cook until wine evaporates.
- Begin adding warmed stock, 1/3 cup at a time, stirring often. When the stock has almost evaporated, add another 1/3 cup, until you have used all of the stock. It will take approximately 25-35 minutes until the risotto is cooked. (It should be tender, but have a slight bite to it.)
- Meanwhile, heat butter in another large skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge scallops in flour and add to skillet, cooking 2-3 minutes per side, until golden and just cooked through. Add garlic, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 1-2 minutes, until garlic is fragrant. Remove scallops and set aside.
- Add ½ cup wine to the skillet with garlic, and cook 4-5 minutes, scraping brown bits off the bottom of the pan, until the wine has reduced by half and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve scallops over risotto and drizzle with wine sauce.
3 very lean meats; 2 starches; 2 fats; 1 vegetable
Side Suggestions: Sliced Tomatoes
|Serving Size||½ of recipe|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
Many medical groups felt that early exposure to certain foods like peanuts increased a child's risk of developing food allergies. However, newer research including this trial suggest that early exposure may actually decrease the risk of developing food allergies.
Breastfeeding May Decrease the Risk of Childhood Obesity
Tonsillectomy May Reduce Number of Sore Throat Days in Children
Research Review Finds Little Support for Nearly Half of Medical Talk Show Recommendations