|Low-fat milk||1¼ cups|
|Dash of pepper|
|Canadian bacon (or substitute smoked ham), sliced into thin strips||5 ounces|
|Leek, thinly sliced and rinsed in a bowl of cold water (leeks will float to the top and any sand will sink to the bottom)||1|
|Swiss cheese, shredded||1½ cups|
|9-inch unbaked pie crust|
|Parsley, chopped||2 tablespoons|
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Cook the sliced leek in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Mix together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Spread the Canadian bacon, leek, and cheese out evenly over the pastry shell. Pour egg mixture into the pie shell and then sprinkle with parsley.
- Bake on one of the bottom shelves in the oven for about 40-45 minutes, until the egg mixture is set and golden brown on top. (Note: To test a quiche for doneness, first jiggle it a bit on the oven shelf to see if it’s “set.” If the center appears to be set, take the quiche out and stick a knife in the middle. The quiche is done when the knife comes out clean.)
- Let pie cool for 5-15 minutes before serving.
1 starch; 1.5 lean meats; 1 high-fat meat substitute; ¼ milk; 1 fat
Side Suggestions: Mixed Green Salad
Toss mixed greens with ½ to 1 chopped tomato, ¼ cup sliced red onion, ½ cup sliced cucumber, and a vinaigrette dressing.
Side Suggestions: French Bread
|Serving Size||1/6 of recipe|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0.5 g|
Improving parent-adolescent sexual communication has been noted as one factor that could help to encourage adolescents to practice safer sex behavior. This study found that sexual communication with parents plays a small protective role in safer sex behavior among adolescents.
Celiac Disease May Increase the Risk of Bone Fractures
Music May Improve Sleep Quality in Adults with Insomnia
CPAP May Help Older Adults with Obstructive Sleep Apnea