|Olive oil||2 teaspoons|
|Small white onion, chopped||1|
|Carrots, peeled and sliced||2|
|Garlic clove, minced||1|
|Dried thyme||½ teaspoon|
|Chicken broth||14 ounces (eg, a 14.5-ounce can)|
|Low-fat cream of celery soup||1 10.75-ounce can|
|Chicken breast tenders, cut into 1” squares||¾ pound|
|Low-fat milk||1/3 cup|
|All-purpose flour||¾ cup|
|Baking powder||1 ½ teaspoons|
|Cornmeal||1 ½ teaspoons|
|Freshly ground pepper to taste|
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, garlic, and thyme, and sauté for 4-6 minutes, until onions are tender.
- Add chicken broth, water, and cream of celery soup to vegetables and bring to a boil. Add chicken, stir, and boil for 10 minutes. Reduce to a simmer.
- While soup is boiling, prepare dumpling batter by whisking milk and egg together in a medium bowl. In another bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cornmeal, and salt. Add flour mixture to milk mixture and stir until moistened.
- Drop half of batter, in tablespoons, into simmering soup. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes, until dumplings are done (they will be puffy and will float on top of soup). Remove dumplings with a slotted spoon and set aside. Repeat with second half of batter. (Makes about 12 dumplings.)
- Serve soup over dumplings in shallow bowls and sprinkle with pepper.
2 very lean meats, 1 starch, 1 fat, ½ vegetable
Side Suggestions: Mixed Green Salad
Toss a bag of mixed greens with your choice of chopped vegetables and salad dressing.
|Serving Size||¼ of recipe|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
Many medical groups felt that early exposure to certain foods like peanuts increased a child's risk of developing food allergies. However, newer research including this trial suggest that early exposure may actually decrease the risk of developing food allergies.
Breastfeeding May Decrease the Risk of Childhood Obesity
Tonsillectomy May Reduce Number of Sore Throat Days in Children
Research Review Finds Little Support for Nearly Half of Medical Talk Show Recommendations