|Olive oil||2 teaspoons|
|Small white onion, chopped||1|
|Carrots, peeled and sliced||2|
|Garlic clove, minced||1|
|Dried thyme||½ teaspoon|
|Chicken broth||14 ounces (eg, a 14.5-ounce can)|
|Low-fat cream of celery soup||1 10.75-ounce can|
|Chicken breast tenders, cut into 1” squares||¾ pound|
|Low-fat milk||1/3 cup|
|All-purpose flour||¾ cup|
|Baking powder||1 ½ teaspoons|
|Cornmeal||1 ½ teaspoons|
|Freshly ground pepper to taste|
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, garlic, and thyme, and sauté for 4-6 minutes, until onions are tender.
- Add chicken broth, water, and cream of celery soup to vegetables and bring to a boil. Add chicken, stir, and boil for 10 minutes. Reduce to a simmer.
- While soup is boiling, prepare dumpling batter by whisking milk and egg together in a medium bowl. In another bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cornmeal, and salt. Add flour mixture to milk mixture and stir until moistened.
- Drop half of batter, in tablespoons, into simmering soup. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes, until dumplings are done (they will be puffy and will float on top of soup). Remove dumplings with a slotted spoon and set aside. Repeat with second half of batter. (Makes about 12 dumplings.)
- Serve soup over dumplings in shallow bowls and sprinkle with pepper.
2 very lean meats, 1 starch, 1 fat, ½ vegetable
Side Suggestions: Mixed Green Salad
Toss a bag of mixed greens with your choice of chopped vegetables and salad dressing.
|Serving Size||¼ of recipe|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
A randomized trial found that drinking water before main meals led to higher weight loss than those who were asked to imagine a full stomach before main meals. Water preloading is believed to help create a feeling of fullness or satiety during the meal, which may help curb overeating.
Fecal Transplants Induce Ulcerative Colitis Remission
Exercise Associated with Healthy Baby Weight
Mindful Meditation May Reduce Symptoms and Complications of Insomnia