Reducing Your Risk of Ovarian Cancer
At this time, there are no specific guidelines for the prevention of ovarian cancer because the cause is unknown; however, women who have had children and who have breastfed them are at lower risk for developing ovarian cancer. Genetic testing may help identify patients who should consider having a salpingo-oophorectomy . This procedure involves removing both ovaries and the fallopian tubes. It may be done, in some cases, to prevent ovarian cancer in high-risk women, such as:
- Women with a first degree relative with ovarian or breast cancer
- Women who have had breast cancer before age 40
- Women who test positive for a genetic mutation (BRCA1 or BRCA2)
- Have an annual health checkup with a pelvic exam
- Eat a low-fat diet that includes lots of fruits and vegetables.
- Maintain a healthy weight so the doctor can easily feel your ovaries
- Talk to your doctor about whether aspirin would help lower your risk of ovarian cancer.
Kasper DL, Harrison TR. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 14th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 1998.
Ovarian cancer. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Updated December 2013. Accessed January 3, 2014
Ovarian cancer. National Cancer Institutewebsite. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/ovarian. Accessed January 3, 2014.
2/4/2015 DynaMed Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Trabert B, Ness, RB. Aspirin, nonaspirin nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug, and acetaminophen use and risk of invasive epithelial ovarian cancer: a pooled analysis in the Ovarian Cancer Association Consortium. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2014 Feb;106(2):djt431.
- Reviewer: Mohei Abouzied, MD, FACP
- Review Date: 12/2014
- Update Date: 02/04/2015
Exercise during pregnancy has been associated with many benefits for mom and baby. This review supports the trend and finds that even one day of purposeful activity per week may reduce the need for cesarean birth.
Maternal Caffeine Intake May Be Associated with Low Birth Weight
Prevent Eczema in Kids with a Daily Dose of Moisturizer
Broccoli Sprout Compound Associated with Reduction in Autism Symptoms