Reducing Your Risk of Lung Cancer
Avoid Exposure to Cancer-Causing SubstancesAvoiding exposure to cancer-causing substances will decrease your risk of developing lung cancer. Suggestions include:
- Don’t smoke . If you smoke, talk to your doctor about ways to quit . Your risk of lung cancer decreases markedly and by 15 years is equal to that of non-smokers.
- Avoid places where people are smoking.
- Test your home for radon gases and asbestos. If these substances are in your home, have them removed.
- Use protective gear if you must work around asbestos or other occupational hazards.
Eat a Healthful DietMaking changes in your diet may help reduce your risk of lung cancer. Changes that may help include:
- Eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables.
- Eating less red meat and more poultry.
Learn about cancer—non-small cell. American Cancer Societywebsite. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/lrn/lrn%5F0.asp. Accessed October 7, 2008.
Learn about cancer—small cell. American Cancer Societywebsite. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/lrn/lrn%5F0.asp. Accessed October 7, 2008.
Lung cancer. American Lung Associationwebsite. Available at: http://www.lungusa.org/. Accessed October 7, 2008.
Lung cancer. National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/lung. Accessed October 7, 2008.
7/3/2013 DynaMed Systematic Literature Surveillance https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us: Yang WS, Wong MY, et al. Meat consumption and risk of lung cancer: evidence from observational studies. Ann Oncol. 2012;23(12):3163-3170.
- Reviewer: Igor Puzanov, MD
- Review Date: 09/2014
- Update Date: 09/17/2014
Exercise during pregnancy has been associated with many benefits for mom and baby. This review supports the trend and finds that even one day of purposeful activity per week may reduce the need for cesarean birth.
Maternal Caffeine Intake May Be Associated with Low Birth Weight
Prevent Eczema in Kids with a Daily Dose of Moisturizer
Broccoli Sprout Compound Associated with Reduction in Autism Symptoms