Low-Fat Diet (50 Grams)
What Is a Fat-Restricted Diet?A fat-restricted diet limits the amount of fat you can eat each day.
Why Should I Follow a Fat-Restricted Diet?This diet may be prescribed for people with medical conditions that make it difficult to digest fat. Examples include chronic pancreatitis and gallbladder disease. A fat-restricted diet will minimize the unpleasant side effects of fat malabsorption, such as diarrhea , gas, and cramping.
Fat-Restricted Diet BasicsA fat-restricted diet typically limits fat intake to 50 grams per day. Fat contains 9 calories per gram. So, if you need 2,000 calories per day, this means only about 22% of those calories can be from fat. The rest should be from carbohydrates and proteins. For most people, it is possible to meet all nutrient requirements on this diet. However, a supplement may be recommended if fat is very limited or you are on the diet for a long time. Vitamins A , D , E , and K need fat to be absorbed. Your doctor or a dietitian may recommend supplements for these vitamins.
Eating Guide for a Fat-Restricted DietThe following guide is broken down into categories based on the Choose My Plate website recommendations for healthy eating. It is recommended that you work with a dietitian to determine how many servings of each category you should eat. Here are some general recommendations:
- The base of your diet should be composed of grains, vegetables, and fruit. Strive to eat foods from these 3 categories at each meal. Fruits and vegetables should cover half of your plate at each meal. When eating grains, choose foods made with whole grains instead of refined grains.
- Limit your intake of meat, fish, poultry, and eggs to 6 ounces per day.
- Consume no more than 3 teaspoons of fat per day.
- Enjoy low-fat or fat-free sweets or snack foods in moderation.
- If you enjoy healthy fats (nuts, olives, and avocados), ask your doctor or dietitian about how you can add these foods into your diet. Since these foods have a lot of fat, they need to be added to your day's intake of fat.
|Food Category||Foods Recommended||Foods to Avoid|
|Grains|| || |
|Vegetables|| || |
|Fruit|| || |
|Milk|| || |
|Proteins|| || |
|Fats and Sweets in moderation|| || |
|Beverages|| || |
|Other|| || |