Conditions InDepth: Gallstones
Gallstones form when cholesterol or bile, which is stored in the gallbladder, hardens into pieces of stone-like material. Gallstones are made of about 75% cholesterol salts. The remaining 25% is made up of bilirubin salts, a bile pigment and calcium carbonate. Gallstones can be as small as a grain of sand or as large as a golf ball. The gallbladder can develop just one large stone, hundreds of tiny stones, or almost any combination.
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Gallstone pancreatitis—A gallstone blocks the opening to the pancreatic duct, and digestive enzymes become trapped in the pancreas causing extremely painful inflammation
- Biliary colic—Pain caused by a gallstone stuck in the bile duct, a tube that carries bile to the small intestine
- Cholecystitis—A stone caught in the bile duct causing inflammation of the gallbladder
- Cholangitis—An infection of the bile ducts
- Gallstone ileus—The gallbladder attaches to the small intestine, creating an abnormal opening through which the stone can travel and cause an obstruction of the small bowel
Adler DG, Baron TH, et al. ASGE guideline: the role of ERCP in diseases of the biliary tract and the pancreas. Gastrointest Endosc. 2005;62:1-8.
Ahmed A, Cheung RC, et al. Management of gallstones and their complications. Am Fam Physician. 2000;61:1673-1678.
Gallstones. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated October 23, 2013. Accessed December 5, 2013.
Portincasa P, Moschetta A, et al. Cholesterol gallstone disease. Lancet. 2006;368:230-239.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 09/2014
- Update Date: 09/17/2014
Exercise during pregnancy has been associated with many benefits for mom and baby. This review supports the trend and finds that even one day of purposeful activity per week may reduce the need for cesarean birth.
Maternal Caffeine Intake May Be Associated with Low Birth Weight
Prevent Eczema in Kids with a Daily Dose of Moisturizer
Broccoli Sprout Compound Associated with Reduction in Autism Symptoms