|Jonagold or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, halved, and cored||2|
|Apple juice or water||2 cups|
|Orange marmalade||½ cup|
|Large egg whites||2|
|Chopped, toasted almonds||2 tablespoons|
- In small saucepot, poach apples in apple juice for 8-10 minutes or until barely tender. Drain.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of marmalade into center of each half.
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- In medium bowl with electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- Gradually beat in sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in almonds.
- Cover tops of apple halves to edges with egg white mixture.
- Place on baking sheet. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until tops are lightly browned.
Fruit: 1; Vegetables: 0; Meat: 0; Milk: 0; Fat: 0; Carbs: 1; Other: 0
|Serving Size||¼ recipe|
|Calories from Fat||20|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
|Vitamin A||0% DV|
|Vitamin C||30% DV|
A randomized trial found that fecal microbiota transplantation had a higher rate of remission in patients with active ulcerative colitis than those who recieved placebo. Fecal transplantation is believed to help the intestine develop a healthy balance of bacteria in the gut which can help the intestine recover and function more effectively.
Chewing Gum After Surgery May Improve Digestive Tract Recovery