|Cauliflower, coarsely chopped||2 cups (the equivalent of about 2 small heads)|
|Zucchini, chopped||1½ cups (1-2 medium)|
|Low sodium chicken broth||3 cans (14.5 ounces each)|
|Diced tomatoes, drained||1 can (16 ounces)|
|Uncooked elbow macaroni or small pasta shells||1 cup|
|Kidney beans or black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed||3 cups|
|Sliced carrot||1 cup|
|Chopped onion||1 cup|
|Olive oil||2 tablespoons|
|Fresh, loosely packed basil leaves||1 cup|
Directions for Minestrone
- In a 5-6 quart saucepan, bring ½ cup water to boil.
- Add tomatoes, cauliflower, onion, and carrots.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add zucchini, beans, broth, and pasta. Return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 10 minutes.
- Put all pesto ingredients in food processor or blender and process until very finely chopped.
- Just before serving, remove soup from heat and stir in pesto.
Fruit: 0; Vegetables: 1; Meat: 1; Milk: 0; Fat: 1; Carbs: 2; Other: 0
Produce for Better Health
|Serving Size||1/8 recipe|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||12 g|
|Vitamin A||60% DV|
|Vitamin C||30% DV|
A systematic review found that participants given chewing gum after abdominal surgery may have a faster return to normal for their digestive system. Unfortunately, the quality of trials is low and more research will need to be done before this simple solution is confirmed.
Early Peanut Consumption Associated with Lower Risk of Peanut Allergy in High Risk Children
Breastfeeding May Decrease the Risk of Childhood Obesity
Tonsillectomy May Reduce Number of Sore Throat Days in Children