|Cauliflower, coarsely chopped||2 cups (the equivalent of about 2 small heads)|
|Zucchini, chopped||1½ cups (1-2 medium)|
|Low sodium chicken broth||3 cans (14.5 ounces each)|
|Diced tomatoes, drained||1 can (16 ounces)|
|Uncooked elbow macaroni or small pasta shells||1 cup|
|Kidney beans or black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed||3 cups|
|Sliced carrot||1 cup|
|Chopped onion||1 cup|
|Olive oil||2 tablespoons|
|Fresh, loosely packed basil leaves||1 cup|
Directions for Minestrone
- In a 5-6 quart saucepan, bring ½ cup water to boil.
- Add tomatoes, cauliflower, onion, and carrots.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add zucchini, beans, broth, and pasta. Return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 10 minutes.
- Put all pesto ingredients in food processor or blender and process until very finely chopped.
- Just before serving, remove soup from heat and stir in pesto.
Fruit: 0; Vegetables: 1; Meat: 1; Milk: 0; Fat: 1; Carbs: 2; Other: 0
Produce for Better Health
|Serving Size||1/8 recipe|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||12 g|
|Vitamin A||60% DV|
|Vitamin C||30% DV|
Insomnia can make your days miserable and a cure can be hard to find. There are some medications but there is some worry with side effects and the potential for addiction. Music is side effect free and according to this study may help you find sleep.
CPAP May Help Older Adults with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Water Before Meals May Promote Weight Loss
Fecal Transplants Induce Ulcerative Colitis Remission