|Dry black beans||1 pound|
|Medium green pepper, coarsely chopped||1|
|Chopped onion||1 ½ cups|
|Vegetable oil||1 tablespoon|
|Garlic cloves, minced||1|
|Vinegar (or lemon juice)||1 tablespoon|
|Rice, cooked in unsalted water||6 cups|
|Sliced pimento, drained||1 jar (4 ounces)|
|Lemon, cut into wedges||1|
- Pick through beans to remove bad beans. Soak beans overnight in cold water. Drain and rinse.
- In large soup pot or dutch oven, stir together beans, water, green pepper, onion, oil, bay leaves, garlic, and salt. Cover and boil 1 hour.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 3-4 hours or until beans are very tender. Stir occasionally and add water if needed.
- Remove about 1/3 of the beans, mash and return to pot. Stir and heat through.
- Remove bay leaves and stir in vinegar or lemon juice when ready to serve.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with sliced pimento and lemon wedges.
|Serving Size||8 oz|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
A systematic review found that participants given chewing gum after abdominal surgery may have a faster return to normal for their digestive system. Unfortunately, the quality of trials is low and more research will need to be done before this simple solution is confirmed.
Early Peanut Consumption Associated with Lower Risk of Peanut Allergy in High Risk Children
Breastfeeding May Decrease the Risk of Childhood Obesity
Tonsillectomy May Reduce Number of Sore Throat Days in Children