Black Beans With Rice
Ingredients and Preparation
|Dry black beans||1 pound|
|Medium green pepper, coarsely chopped||1|
|Chopped onion||1 ½ cups|
|Vegetable oil||1 tablespoon|
|Garlic cloves, minced||1|
|Vinegar (or lemon juice)||1 tablespoon|
|Rice, cooked in unsalted water||6 cups|
|Sliced pimento, drained||1 jar (4 ounces)|
|Lemon, cut into wedges||1|
- Pick through beans to remove bad beans. Soak beans overnight in cold water. Drain and rinse.
- In large soup pot or dutch oven, stir together beans, water, green pepper, onion, oil, bay leaves, garlic, and salt. Cover and boil 1 hour.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 3-4 hours or until beans are very tender. Stir occasionally and add water if needed.
- Remove about 1/3 of the beans, mash and return to pot. Stir and heat through.
- Remove bay leaves and stir in vinegar or lemon juice when ready to serve.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with sliced pimento and lemon wedges.
|Serving Size||8 oz|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Current Research From Top Journals