|Dry black beans||1 pound|
|Medium green pepper, coarsely chopped||1|
|Chopped onion||1 ½ cups|
|Vegetable oil||1 tablespoon|
|Garlic cloves, minced||1|
|Vinegar (or lemon juice)||1 tablespoon|
|Rice, cooked in unsalted water||6 cups|
|Sliced pimento, drained||1 jar (4 ounces)|
|Lemon, cut into wedges||1|
- Pick through beans to remove bad beans. Soak beans overnight in cold water. Drain and rinse.
- In large soup pot or dutch oven, stir together beans, water, green pepper, onion, oil, bay leaves, garlic, and salt. Cover and boil 1 hour.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 3-4 hours or until beans are very tender. Stir occasionally and add water if needed.
- Remove about 1/3 of the beans, mash and return to pot. Stir and heat through.
- Remove bay leaves and stir in vinegar or lemon juice when ready to serve.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with sliced pimento and lemon wedges.
|Serving Size||8 oz|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Improving parent-adolescent sexual communication has been noted as one factor that could help to encourage adolescents to practice safer sex behavior. This study found that sexual communication with parents plays a small protective role in safer sex behavior among adolescents.
Celiac Disease May Increase the Risk of Bone Fractures
Music May Improve Sleep Quality in Adults with Insomnia
CPAP May Help Older Adults with Obstructive Sleep Apnea