|Olive oil||2 teaspoons|
|Small yellow onion, sliced||1|
|Garlic, minced||1 clove|
|Red bell pepper, cut into strips||1|
|Chicken breast, cut into strips||½ pound|
|Ground cumin||1 tablespoon|
|Chili powder||1 tablespoon|
|Lime juice||2 tablespoons|
|Whole-wheat fajita-style tortillas||4|
|Light sour cream||2 tablespoons|
|Cheese, to serve||¼ cup|
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add onion, pepper, and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly tender.
- Add chicken and cook 2-3 minutes, or until browned on all sides.
- Add cumin, chili powder, and lime juice, and continue cooking for an additional 4-5 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Place tortillas between damp paper towels and heat in microwave 1-1 ½ minutes, or until warm.
- Divide vegetable and chicken mixture between tortillas and garnish with salsa, sour cream, cheese, and guacamole (optional—see below).
3 starches; 3 very lean meats; 3 fats; 1.5 vegetables
Side Suggestions: Fresh Guacamole
Slice 1 ripe avocado in half and scoop insides into small mixing bowl. Mash to desired consistence and add 1 tablespoon chopped red onion, 1 tablespoon seeded chopped tomato, ½ tablespoon fresh lime juice, ½-1 teaspoon minced jalapeno, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir together. Nutrition Info (for ½ recipe): 165 calories; 8 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 15 g fat (2 g sat); 5 g fiber; 311 mg sodium. Exchanges: 1.5 vegetables; 3 fats.
|Saturated Fat||3.5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|
A randomized trial found that fecal microbiota transplantation had a higher rate of remission in patients with active ulcerative colitis than those who recieved placebo. Fecal transplantation is believed to help the intestine develop a healthy balance of bacteria in the gut which can help the intestine recover and function more effectively.
Exercise Associated with Healthy Baby Weight
Mindful Meditation May Reduce Symptoms and Complications of Insomnia
Chewing Gum After Surgery May Improve Digestive Tract Recovery