|Olive oil||2 teaspoons|
|Small yellow onion, sliced||1|
|Garlic, minced||1 clove|
|Red bell pepper, cut into strips||1|
|Chicken breast, cut into strips||½ pound|
|Ground cumin||1 tablespoon|
|Chili powder||1 tablespoon|
|Lime juice||2 tablespoons|
|Whole-wheat fajita-style tortillas||4|
|Light sour cream||2 tablespoons|
|Cheese, to serve||¼ cup|
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add onion, pepper, and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly tender.
- Add chicken and cook 2-3 minutes, or until browned on all sides.
- Add cumin, chili powder, and lime juice, and continue cooking for an additional 4-5 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Place tortillas between damp paper towels and heat in microwave 1-1 ½ minutes, or until warm.
- Divide vegetable and chicken mixture between tortillas and garnish with salsa, sour cream, cheese, and guacamole (optional—see below).
3 starches; 3 very lean meats; 3 fats; 1.5 vegetables
Side Suggestions: Fresh Guacamole
Slice 1 ripe avocado in half and scoop insides into small mixing bowl. Mash to desired consistence and add 1 tablespoon chopped red onion, 1 tablespoon seeded chopped tomato, ½ tablespoon fresh lime juice, ½-1 teaspoon minced jalapeno, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir together. Nutrition Info (for ½ recipe): 165 calories; 8 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 15 g fat (2 g sat); 5 g fiber; 311 mg sodium. Exchanges: 1.5 vegetables; 3 fats.
|Saturated Fat||3.5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|
A systematic review found that participants given chewing gum after abdominal surgery may have a faster return to normal for their digestive system. Unfortunately, the quality of trials is low and more research will need to be done before this simple solution is confirmed.
Early Peanut Consumption Associated with Lower Risk of Peanut Allergy in High Risk Children
Breastfeeding May Decrease the Risk of Childhood Obesity
Tonsillectomy May Reduce Number of Sore Throat Days in Children