Lifestyle Changes to Manage Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD)
- Identify potential relapse triggers and develop coping strategies for difficult situations that pop up at work or home
- Avoid reaching for a drink when stressed or upset. Learn stress reduction or relaxation techniques. Consider starting a regular exercise program.
- Tell friends and family about your intentions. They can help you with your goals.
- Find ways to socialize without alcohol.
- Avoid going to bars or other places associated with drinking.
- Keep alcohol out of the home or office.
- Make new, nondrinking friends.
- Do fun things that do not involve alcohol.
- Continue attending support groups, such as Alcoholics Anonymous.
- Eat a healthful diet.
More from Beliefnet
Insomnia can make your days miserable and a cure can be hard to find. There are some medications but there is some worry with side effects and the potential for addiction. Music is side effect free and according to this study may help you find sleep.
CPAP May Help Older Adults with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Water Before Meals May Promote Weight Loss
Fecal Transplants Induce Ulcerative Colitis Remission