Lifestyle Changes to Manage Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD)
- Identify potential relapse triggers and develop coping strategies for difficult situations that pop up at work or home
- Avoid reaching for a drink when stressed or upset. Learn stress reduction or relaxation techniques. Consider starting a regular exercise program.
- Tell friends and family about your intentions. They can help you with your goals.
- Find ways to socialize without alcohol.
- Avoid going to bars or other places associated with drinking.
- Keep alcohol out of the home or office.
- Make new, nondrinking friends.
- Do fun things that do not involve alcohol.
- Continue attending support groups, such as Alcoholics Anonymous.
- Eat a healthful diet.
More from Beliefnet
A randomized trial found that drinking water before main meals led to higher weight loss than those who were asked to imagine a full stomach before main meals. Water preloading is believed to help create a feeling of fullness or satiety during the meal, which may help curb overeating.
Fecal Transplants Induce Ulcerative Colitis Remission
Exercise Associated with Healthy Baby Weight
Mindful Meditation May Reduce Symptoms and Complications of Insomnia