DefinitionScarlet fever is an infection which produces a sore throat , fever, and a specific rash.
|Sore Throat Due to Inflammation|
|© 2009 Nucleus Medical Art, Inc.|
CausesScarlet fever is caused by specific bacteria. The bacteria produces a toxin that causes a rash. Scarlet fever usually develops in conjunction with strep throat .
Risk FactorsFactors that increase your risk of getting scarlet fever include:
- Untreated strep infection
- Close contact with someone who has an untreated strep infection
- Overcrowded conditions, such as a school or daycare
SymptomsSymptoms may include:
- High fever
- Specific, spreading rash that feels like sand paper
- Flushing in the face with paleness around the mouth
- Red streaks, called Pastia's lines, on elbows, underarms, and body creases
- Swollen glands in the neck
- Pain in the abdomen
- Bright red tongue
- Body aches
- Rheumatic fever
- Kidney damage
- Spread of the infection to other areas such as the ears, sinuses, or lungs
- Streptococcal toxic shock syndrome
- Local abscess
DiagnosisYou will be asked about your symptoms and medical history. A physical exam will be done. The doctor may diagnose scarlet fever by the specific rash. Confirmation of scarlet fever can be done with a throat swab or rapid strep antigen detection test.
More from Beliefnet
Insomnia can make your days miserable and a cure can be hard to find. There are some medications but there is some worry with side effects and the potential for addiction. Music is side effect free and according to this study may help you find sleep.
CPAP May Help Older Adults with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Water Before Meals May Promote Weight Loss
Fecal Transplants Induce Ulcerative Colitis Remission