Sexual Lubricants: Relieving Vaginal Dryness
Vaginal dryness can cause discomfort during sex as well as itching and burning sensations. Some causes of vaginal dryness are:
- Lower estrogen levels after menopause
- Hormonal changes due to childbirth or breastfeeding
- Some medications, including leuprolide, danazol, tamoxifen, antihistamines, ulcer medications, antidepressants, blood pressure medications, oral contraceptives, and cold medications
- Strenuous exercise
- Cancer treatments, such as chemotherapy , radiation , and hormone therapy
- Sjogren’s syndrome
About LubricantsLubricants are substances designed to ease dryness, prevent friction, and make sexual intercourse more comfortable and enjoyable for both partners. There are many over-the-counter products available including:
- K-Y Jelly
- Liquid Silk
PrecautionsNot all lubricants are created equal. Do not use any of the following as lubricants:
- Petroleum-based products, such as Vaseline, mineral oil, and baby oil can cause the latex in condoms to break down, increasing the risk for sexually transmitted diseases (STD) and pregnancy.
- Moisture creams and lotions can interfere with the body's pH levels and cause irritation or infection.